PMD bulkheads (kit build)

Hi All - 

My understanding is that they updated the kit and didn't update the manual. So there are a couple times when common sense has to override the directions. 

We are at the point where you glue up the seams of the panels and then glass the bottom. Next step would be flipping it back over -removing the bulkheads and glassing the inside bottom.

Problem is that the newer kits have tabs in the bulkheads that protrude through the bottom panel. If I glass the bottom I am not going to get the bulkheads back out! And - if I remove the bulkheads and glass the bottom I am going to get epoxy stalgtites through the holes and I'm not getting the bulkheads back in.

I spoke to someone at CLC and they suggested that I tape the holes shut and glass the bottom, and then sand the tabs off and install the bulkheads per the instructions. 

Would this work instead:  

1. glue up the seams of the panels as per manual.

2. flip the boat over and permenantly install the bulkheads

3. flip the boat back over and glass the bottom

4. flip the boat back over again and glass the inside in three sections

What would be the advantages of either approach?  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PMD bulkheads (kit build)

For whatever reason the "mortises" or holes in the bottom that receive the bulkhead tenons don't ever seem to fill with epoxy during the 'glassing steps---surface tension, I suppose.  

Thus if you follow the instructions, you can zip out the the fiberglass covering the mortises on the inside of the hull in a few moments with a razor knife.  

>>>4. flip the boat back over again and glass the inside in three sections

This works very well, and eventually we'll switch the boat over to that approach.  We've done about 35 Passagemakers this way in classes, and there are no disadvantages.  

RE: PMD bulkheads (kit build)

Thanks for the quick response!

If I understand you right, you're saying either approach would work.

How's this for an order of operations?

glue up the panels

remove the bulkheads (while it's upside down I suppose)

glass the outside bottom

flip, glass the inside bottom

excise the glass from the inside mortises, file down the tenons (they are too long now)

permanently install the bulkheads

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.