Graphite

I would like to try a graphite/epoxy bottom on a new build.  Should I do the standard 3 coats epoxy then graphite mix?  Or could I do one coat epoxy to cover the fiberglass and then go to two coats of the graphite/epoxy mix?

Kim

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Graphite

On my WD12, I did the following:

1. Wet out the glass

2. Fill the weave with a microballoon/epoxy slurry

3. 2 coats graphite/epoxy

Fine line tape for the edges, no sanding between layers. It worked out well.

Laszlo

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but here goes:  When using graphite in epoxy like in the above posts, is it still necessary to apply a UV protection layer, like varnish or paint?  My guess is yes, but one never knows....

Actually, Casey, it's no.The graphite provides all the UV protection needed.

Laszlo

My plan, should Laszlo choose to accept it, is to wet out the glass.  After 8 hr. periods I will apply coats to the sides which I want bright.  After a day or so I will put on the fine line tape and proceed with steps 2 & 3. 

Is it okay to let the bottom hull cure for a day while I am working on the sides? 

Interestingly enough, I just used graphite on the bottom of my passagemaker and did it pretty much the way that laszlo described except that I didn't use microballoons when filling in the weave. I simply used two coats of clear epoxy and then two coats of the graphite epoxy. So far, it has worked out great. but, I only launched her a few weeks ago. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.