Kaholo 14 with a Maryland theme

Finally got finished.  Many thanks to all who posted here before me; I copied many, many things from lurking these forums.

stern

rails

All the way done

AFC

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo 14 with a Maryland theme

Very nice! Like the matching shorts as well.

George K  

A more-complete sequence of the built in pictures...

http://imgur.com/a/ycUPd

AFC

Nice job! The varnish and paint look super.  Congrats and enjoy!

Nice! How did you tackle the finely detailed (I assume) paint job? Looks like the fiberglass is over top of the design- any issues with the epoxy adhering?

Best,

Patrick

Did you do the graphics in vinyl?  If so did you varnish over them? 

Thanks very much.

The flag is 2 pieces of cotton fabric cut from one length (44" wide) of "percale" printed by the Kent State University "Tech Style Lab" using the SVG file of the flag from wikipedia.  There is NO WAY I could do anything like that by hand :-)  Spoonflower.com is a similar service, but the color payoff was higher with the KSU printer.

It was my (KSU freshman) daughter, that had the key idea of printing the flag, as I could not find suitable cotton flags, and it turned out great.  My only problem was 2 spots that failed to adhere when I first epoxy'd the cloth down.  I had to sand those down and cover them with matching scraps and more epoxy before completing all the epoxy coats.

Just an example of the many, many small mistakes I made, but I managed to avoid any big ones :-)

tl;dr: cotton fabric, then epoxy, then black trim paint, then varnish on deck and hull.

AFC

AFC

Brilliant! Thanks for the spoonflower tip. Ain't the internet grand?

Thanks,

Patrick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.