tail block problems and stitching bottom to side problems

we are building the Kaholo SUP 12'6" from the kit
1: We are stitching the bottom panel to the side panels. Where the bottom and side panels come together, should the side panels lie on top of the bottom panel, or should the bottom panel lie on top of the side panels? 
2: In the directions on page 34 it states that the tail block is placed with the LONGER edge against the bottom panel, but when we tried that it was extremely obvious that the tail block would only fit if we had the SHORTER edge against the bottom panel. Is this a mistake in the instructions? Should we force it to work like i the directions, thus bending the ends of the side panels into a prominent twist, or should we use our common sense instead and go against the directions?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: tail block problems and stitching bottom to side problems

December 2012 issue of Wooden Boat Magazine published the plans for the  12-6 Kaholo.  the plans show that the tail piece measures 16 5/8 inches wide at the deck and 16 inches wide across the bottom

Regarding the joint of the sides joining the bottom...neither the sides or bottom overlay each other.  They are jointed edge to edge with neither one overlapping each other.  If you read through several months of this form you will find discussions of this joint.  The best detail I have seen of this joint is to sand or plane a very slight 45 degree bevel on the edges of the both the bottom and sides  removing just one layer of the plywood. As you tighten up the stitches you can align the edges as described.  

Look for and read as many builders tips as you can find.

RE: tail block problems and stitching bottom to side problems

On the 14 foot Kaholo the tail piece is wider at the bottom and narrower at the deck.  

I just looked at the dimensions of the frames for the 12-6 and see that frames 9 and 10 are wider at the bottom and narrower at the deck creating "tumble home". 

check to see if you installed frames 9 and 10 correctly and not up side down..  I now question the accuracy of my last post and of the plans published in wooden boat and believe that the wider dimension of the tail block is on the bottom.  

Give Larry Foley? The designer a call.  Google Gray Whale Trading.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.