The boats are back

I stopped by the CLC showroom today to pick up some varnish and the gang was unloading the boats fresh from their return from the Woodenboat Show. I tell you, at times like these (91 degrees, humid and about a million boats to unload, clean and stow) I am so glad to be a customer instead of an employee.

There was one person industriously washing all the boats and she was working on a Mill Creek when I got there. It had the most amazingly worn bottom I've ever seen. It was noteworthy enough to photograph. That's bare wood at the tips.

So if you think your boats have a tough life, have a sympathetic thought for the poor CLC demo fleet. But be cheered by the fact that if CLC boats can stand up to that kind of abuse, think of how long they'll last for you.

Laszlo

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: The boats are back

What Laszlo said...

Having unloaded that trailer once or twice I will say CLC  folks work their As--s off.

Come to the demo in Yonkers on the 26th and help me do it again.

Dan

It is good to see that there is good maintenace practices as to boat and water care being practiced. With so many invasive species of plants and animals it is important not to help them migrate from water way to the next. Rinsing your craft off when leaving a body of water and then sanitiziing at home befor the next use is an important step in the process.

George, you will also want to sanitize any ropes, lines, floor boards, oars, etc. The sprats of invasive mussels will survive on or in anything that is damp. IMHO, it is a losing battle and a waste of time. There are too many places for the invaders to hide, too many ignorant or uncaring boaters, too many ways for cheaters to access our waters with out inspection or eradication. 

For example: how does one sanitize the interior of the ballast tanks on a wakeboard boat? Or the interior of a sea strainer or heat exchanger and all of the hoses involved. Based upon my experience at Lake Powell it is hopeless. We had an intensive inspection program run by the NPS with strong community support and a very widespread education program. Powell has only a very limited number of launch spots and the NPS had them covered. Still, the invaders got into the lake and now we are stuck: the millions spent on prevention were a total waste and would have been better spent on learning to live with them. 

One could try a water & bleach or water and vinager wash with a freas water rinse.

I am in Chiacage on Lake Michigan. This has been a real problem since the late 1950's. It the issue is coming to the courts and international bargining with the Asian Carp swimming up the Missippi River and into the various shipping canals. They are just a lock away from the lake.

Just put any invasive species on a protected list, make hunting them illegal and then drop a hint on the internet that they're better than the little blue pill. They'll be extinct in a year.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.