sanding between coats (epoxy)

I glassed my deck and put on one fill coat.  Then had to be out of town for work and did't get atound to putting on the third fil coat. It has ben about two weeks since I put the first two coats on.  Do I need to sand before puttng on the third coat or can I just roll another coat onto the deck? 

I am using West System with 207 Hardener. 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sanding between coats (epoxy)

You need to sand lightly or the new epoxy won't grip properly to the cured coat. You'll want to be careful when sanding though since you probably haven't fully "filled the weave" of the fiberglass -- just sand enough to lightly scratch up the surface so the last layer of epoxy can bind.

Also check carefully to see if you have any amine blush on the surface. If you do, the next layer of epoxy will bead up and you'll have to remove the entire layer. I've only seen it on my Pocketship build when I layed down epoxy during heavy atmospheric humidity. If the surface feels oily, you'll want to wash the surface with water and a scotch-brite pad and let it dry COMPLETELY. 

Definitely water and scotchbrite for cured epoxy, especially West. Abrade with 80g or coarser for structural secondary bonds.

���To my understanding West System 207 does not blush so you should be good there. Now if you were using 205 or 206 you would want to take precautions. And yes you do want to scratch the surface lightly

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.