PMD Lug Rig Sail Halyard location

I've been working on my PMD for two years -- yes, I'm a snail and novice.  I'm up to rigging the sail.  Looking for confirmation about mast hole alignment and halyard threading direction.  I've looked at a lot of pixx and there seems to be some variety in rigging.

I thought I read in manual that the hole in the mast for the halyard to pass through should be aligned fore and aft of the boat's centerline.  Is this correct?  If this is correct, does the halyard feed from bow-side of mast to stern-side?  This would put the yard on the leading edge of the mast with halyard running down aft-side to cleat aligned along boat's centerline.

An alternative alignment would be the mast hole @ 90 degrees to boat's centerline with the yard on the port and the halyard feeding port to starboard with halyard cleated on starboard side of mast (or turn on block and run aft).

Comments, please.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PMD Lug Rig Sail Halyard location

���

RE: PMD Lug Rig Sail Halyard location

I don't have a PMD,, i have a dory, but it's the same rig.   No, you do NOT want the hole in the totop of the mast  to be fore-and-aft oriented.  It should be perpendicular to the keel. Then you mattach two cleats to the sides of the mast (ie the sides the hole opens to) and use one for the haulong end of the halyard and the other for the downhaul.  It really doesnt matter which way uou reeve the halyard through the hole.  (Unless, that is, you expect to be on one tack all day, in which case you should rig so that the sail will be on the leeward (downwind) side of the mast, because you do get a little better sail shape on that tack.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.