proper epoxy /graphite mix?

I'm putting rub strips on the bow and stern my CLC 17 kayak. Unclear about the ratio of epoxy , which as you you know is a "goo", to graphite, a powder. I'm paddling alot on the coast of Maine so the ends get some abuse! Thanks!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: proper epoxy /graphite mix?

i have done the rub-strips on my boats....they make a big difference in wear.

i can't tell you what the exact ratio is....but i would suggest you shoot for the consistency of a mustard/kethchup.

start with a very small batch of epoxy so you don't waste a lot of graphite.  i would recommend one pumps worth of epoxy/hardner (which is the smallest batch i will make) and add in a tea-spoon of graphite, mix  and keep adding in until you are at the right consistency.  (keep track of your result).  it would not surprise me you may be able to get at least one of the rub-strips done with this.

the big thing that prevents the damage, however, is the dynel.   it is very tough stuff.

good luck

howard

RE: proper epoxy /graphite mix?

50-50 mix by volume gives you a slippery surface that's good for sand and mud with occasional pebbles and oyster shells. More epoxy and less graphite is less slippery and harder, better for rocky bottoms.

My method of mixing is different than Howard's. I pour the epoxy/resin mix into the graphite, a little at a time and mix it thoroughly before adding more. It's the same technique as making hot chocolate from scratch, for the same reason. The cocoa powder (and graphite) will absorb the milk (epoxy) and make a smooth paste. If I mix it the other way I always get lumps.

Once it's a smooth paste you can add all the epxy you want to get it to the right consistency. You can even mix up 6 - 8 ounce batches if you're covering a large area.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.