Renovating a 17' Chesapeake - Advice on materials

Hi all!

I recently inherited a used (15 year old) Chesapeake 17'.  It has seen a lot of use over the years, but has been lovingly stored for the past 5 years at least. The clear coat on top is foggy, and there are some minor dings and scratches on the hull, but as far as I can tell, the boat is still sound.

I intend to return this boat to its former glory. I intend to place an order here in the shop for the materials I will need, but I thought I'd ask some advice first about what my shopping list should look like.

The boat right now is bright yellow on the hull. The only place on the boat where I feel the craftsmanship was a bit shoddy was on the deck, where the nails were put in a little unevenly. 

To deemphisize this, I'd like to bribng the paint up over the deck a tad - like here: http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/boat-paint-varnish-finishing/painting_deck.html

I basically want that exact boat :)  

I'm going to need to choose a black paint, a good clearcoat for the top, get new straps in black, etc.

I would really appreciate some advice on which materials are easiest to work with for a relative beginner (I am fairly handy, have some decent tools, and although I've never worked on a wooden boat before, I have done some basic cabinetry.)

I'm willing to rent a spray gun if anyone feels that spraying as opposed to rolling is the best approach...

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Adam
Berkeley, CA

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Renovating a 17' Chesapeake - Advice on materials

I built a CH 17 and 18 and a few other things and now am building a Peeler skiff.  The CH 17 is a great boat!  Yo will love it!  Depending on the condition of the bottom, deep scratches etc.  It depends on what kind of paint was used for that yellow to refinish.  Most likely it is a one part polyurethane.  If so, you could just sand it lightly and paint right over it with the same type paint.  I just used Deep Blue which is almost black  Epiphanes brand and it came out really nice using foam rollers and foam brushes to apply it  four coats over two coats of white primer over West System epoxy and fairing compound.  Their site has some info on figuring out what you already have on the boat.  Interlux makes great paint as well which CLC sells.  To refinish the deck if it is dull I would sand out all the existing varnish and get into the epoxy.  See what it all looks like.  You probably have indents where the nails are, so to fill those for a nice flush paint job covering them you will want to use more epoxy to fill them.  If you tape off where your want varnish then you could use the micro balloons fairing compounds to fill, it sands easier, uses less epoxy but it is a different color than the clear epoxy so you really need to keep it under the paint!  As for varnish, they are all pretty good.  I have used Epiphanes for my last 5 boats and Interlux varnish on my iceboat that is 30 years old and the finish still looks new.   I have brushed all my varnish finishes using the best brushes I could find.  This tim I am going to use the foam rollers and foam brushes to see how I like the results.  Easier and cheaper and most likely a fine finish.  

I guess you want to replace all the black strapping on the hatches?  That is pretty simple too.  CLC sells that and probably the clips too.  When they are old they get all faded.   I have used similar strapping for other projects and you can get that material in many places.  I would reuse the bronze/brass fittings too.  You could get new ones but they tarnish faxt anyway.  You might want to fill the old holes a bit and re-drill them since they will all be open.  This will ensure that there is not bare wood exposed.  Also, use good masking tape!!  The green 3m or better, get 3M fine line tape.  Not sure if CLC sells that but it is avail online.

so you really do not need a lot of material.  Minimal epoxy.  smallest cans available will put another coat if you have to on your deck.  probably two quarts of paint.  Primer if you go that far on the bottom paint removal.  Maybe one quart of varnish.  A bunch of rollers and brushes, tape, strapping and replace the foam insulation that the old hatches sit on.  CLC sells that or any home depot most likely.  And of course sand paper.

It will be nice to refinish that boat!  Good luck.  Im sure i left a bunch of stuff out here but do some research on this site and others for finishing tips etc and maybe some others will also chime in.  jamestown distributors has some how to videos on their site as well.

Another possibility for the bottom is graphite/epoxy mixture. For where I paddle, I like a  50-50 mixture by volume.

The stuff resists scratching, is easy to repair if it does get scratched and needs no UV protecting layer. If you don't sand it it finishes up a very deep glossy black with a slight orange peel texture. If you sand it it ends up as smooth as you want to make it and dark grey, like pencil lead.

You'll have to remove the paint right down to the epoxy to apply the graphite mix, if you use it.

CLC sells a very nice fine line tape, BTW.

Enjoy your restoration and new boat.

Laszlo

Thanks so much, SurferBill, for the detailed and specific advice.  And thank you too, Lazlo for your ideas on the hull!

It hadn't occured to me to fill the indents on the nails to make the deck flush before painting.  I was hoping just to take attention away from the uneven nails - it's so much more preferrable to hide them completely!

Looking at the hull, it seems the scratches are mostly shallow and cosmetic. I'm going to check out epifanes.com and see if I can determine that exactly that yellow paint is, and take it from there.

Getting excited!

Thanks again,

Adam

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.