Oar lock placement

was wondering if anyone had any experience with the placement of oarlocks based on one's own size. the instructions (for the Dory) have a set placement measurement (very precise at 15 and 1/4" aft of bulkheads). And I can just follow that and that will likely be just fine. but I was wondering if there is likely to be in reality a possible range of proper placements that would depend largely on ones own height and length of your arms. I ask becasue at 6'3" I may be a bit longer in wingspan than average. should I be pushing my oarlocks sternward an inch or two since it will be mostly me that will be pulling at the oars. It really isnt the sort of thing you can try at various locations till it feels right unless you want to put a ton of holes along the rails. 

I dont want to be too anal on this, I can follow the instructions just fine but was just wondering if others had any experience with this and felt that the set measurement ended up feeling cramped for a taller than average guy.

David

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Oar lock placement

David,

Actually you can try it at various locations  without holes. For your first trip out, go without oarlocks. Instead, use a pair of c-clamps as adjustable thole pins. Start them where the manual recommends, row a bit, then move them see if it feels better and repeat. Once you find the sweet spot, that's where the oarlocks go. Don't forget to tie a long string to the clamps in case you drop them in the water while adjusting them.

Being able to this kind of adjustment and have your oarlocks exactly where they fit you best is one of the main reasons to build your own boat, so have at it and enjoy not being forced to use an average.

Have fun,

Laszlo

RE: Oar lock placement

David, I am 6' 1 1/2" with fairly long arms (36 sleave).  I put the oarlocks on my dory per the instructions, and the geometry seems to work fine.  For what its worth.  Frank  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.