Cradle Boat

About 20 months ago my daughter was 6 months pregnant with my first grandson.  I thought to surprise her with a cradle boat since I'm such a boat nut.  I had a rough hull built and was starting to fill in the epoxy between planks when I got the email..."Oh and daddy, NO CRADLE BOATS!!!!!!"   Women's intuition, a spy in the workshop?

Well, it went into the back room at work not to be seen until about 3 weeks ago.  Sunday was my grandson's second birthday and since I could not come up with a suitable gift I decided to "get her back" and convert the cradle to a "Rocking Boat"!

So three weeks ago I began thinking about parallel rails rather that the cross rails that come with the kit.  I also cut out the oval bottom board to accept two little feet to brace.  Some home made oars from dowels I found and bingo, I had a rocking boat.

I apologize, it was rushed. Some things were not carefully thought out but at least the rocker rails are only attached with 1/2" x 3" bolts to disassemble and make storage easier.  The rails are designed to give less "rock" fore and aft to keep the little guy in the boat. I thought we can always change the arc/radius if he needs more excitement.

Hope it inspires some of you grandfathers to reinvent your current project if it isn't getting much use these days. 

Have fun.

John Zeigler

No replies have been added to this post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.