LapStitching Technique

I'm a plan builder, building the stock Eastport Pram.  I'm just now prepping for stitching the #1 planks to the bottom.  I've read all of the FAQ's and various blogs on the lapstitching process.  In order to ensure that my predrilled holes align all the way along the seam, I thought about starting at the bow with one perfectly aligned hole, stitch, realign the plank, mark and drill the second hole, stitch, mark the third hole, drill and stitch, etc.  In my mind, this might be more difficult to support the unstitched length of plank, but it would ensure that the holes would align all the way down.  What do you folks think about this approach?

I'm also planning on using stainless seizing wire that I can get cheaply from work.  I figure it's strong enough to hold the planks together and strong enough to be pulled out after the resin kicks.

Thanks,

Chris

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: LapStitching Technique

Sounds like a plan, but I'd start in the middle and stitch alternate holes towards the ends. That's because the planks thin out at the ends and flex more than the thicker middle. Starting in the middle lets you stabilize the larger parts of the planks first. Then the thinner parts will be more under control as you work closer to them.

Either way would probably work just as well, though, since you can always loosen the stitches and adjust the alignment.

Speaking of stitches, copper is soft enough that in most cases it will give before the wood. Stainless could rip through the holes. So be on the lookout for really tight stitches if you go with the stainless.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks for the feedback.  I totally thought of that and it's even mentioned in another thread.  It would make the unsupported length(s) much shorter.  However, the advice on the other thread agrees with the fact that now I could have two unaligned ends if I do it that way.  The directions say start at the bow, so until I have overwhelmingly compelling evidence, I'll stick with that.  I was wondering about making some kind of string loop that would wrangle the unstitched ends while I work my way down the boat.

I'm hoping that I don't put the panels under nearly enough stress to worry about tearout, but I wanted to make sure the wire would be strong enough to pull out of the hardened epoxy.  I may also do the "fillet stitch" method I've read about where I make a smaller radius fillet between the stitches, then remove the unepoxied wire, the put a larger radius fillet over the whole seam.  I guess I'll see when I get to that stage.

Thanks,

Chris 

A couple of spring clamps and maybe the string loop or two and you can approximately position things. Then start the stitching.

Nick does this with long thin ceder srips while marking and shaping the tapered ends.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.