Boy's Life "Sailing Surfboard" July 1958 archives

A friend and I built 2 of these in 1958 when we were 15, sailed them on Long Island Sound mostly...had a great time...I would like to build one using CLC materials for weight and up-to-date technique..I've built a Passagemaker...thanks for any comments/advice.    Steve Vogel

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Boy's Life "Sailing Surfboard" July 1958 archives

Pictures?

I did something similar with my schooner - updated a 27 year old design from DIY store plywood on frame to stitch and glue using modern materials from CLC. It worked out well, the new design being lighter and stronger than the original. I found the plywood sheets with the CNC-cut puzzle joints especially useful. Your Passagemaker experience should be very helpful.

Have fun and keep us posted if you go through with this,

Laszlo

We have a lot in common with the Sailing Surfboard from Boy's Life!  That boat got me hooked on sailing.  I too was 14 and sailed Naragansett Bay abord it.  My boat was built on a very tight budget.  I sewed the sails from a surplus WW 2 aircraft tow target.  I learned some new skills.  For one, I used a wood lathe for the first time to turn the ends for the mast, boom and spar.

Of course the Sailing Sufboard was really a wooden version of the Sailfish.  I found some problems with handling when running before the wind - she used to nose-dive!  The deck would go awash and the boat would turn.  I made two modifications to the bow, adding pieces of wood to give it a taper and a breakwater right at the bow.  After this, she did not nose-dive.  The hull design would have been great on some lake with a 5 knot breeze, but not on Naragansett Bay.

This boat got me hooked.  I next built a Snipe.  Wow, a boat you sat IN and not ON!  :)  Somehow I ended up with a Celebrity which was my Rolls Royce.

Good Memories!  Thank you!!!

It's almost but not quite a Sailfish.  I learned sailing on the plywood Sailfish my aunt built back around 1962 or so.  The Web is a bit scary; Boy's Life is searchable in google now, and so...

https://books.google.com/books?id=NYcqFhkBq5MC&lpg=PA21&ots=VmIYdZ2aD9&dq=boy's%20life%20sailing%20surfboard&pg=PA20#v=onepage&q=boy's%20life%20sailing%20surfboard&f=false

In some ways, the construction shouldn't be much different than paddleboards.

CLC should dig up the plans for the old wooden Alcort Super Sailfish and the old wooden Sunfish and offer them as kit boats.  With a new fiberglass Sunfish selling for over $4K for a 14' sailboat that is basically a child's toy, and most of the older fiberglass Sunfishes from the 60s, 70s, and 80s being so waterlogged they weigh 300lbs, completely beat to Hell, or both,  I think there would be a market for kits. 

I actually have a tired old wooden Super Sailfish hull I would gladly donate for them to take apart to make patterns in exchange for a new kit.  LOL

Sure does look like an SUP. I think I recall WoodOgre outfitting a Kaholo with a windsurf sail- not sure if that was this forum or another.

Depending on how specific your nostaligia is you might want to consider that design as well.

Patrick

Rob C: The complete plans for the Super Sailfish (the original Alcort) are available on the Sunfish_Sailor yahoo group in the "files" section. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sunfish_sailor

I believe you need to sign in with a Yahoo ID and request permission to join the group to see the files (as I did), but that's just to keep out spam. The instruction manual for the Sunfish is also available, but unfortunetely the plans aren't there so we have no idea what the offsets are for laying out the side/bottom/top panels. A pet project of mine that I hope to one day accomplish is to find an old wooden Sunfish and measure the relevant dimensions, so that I can build a new one.

If you someday want to restore your Super Sailfish, I suggest the plans would be an excellent place to start.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. That issue of Boys Life was packed. I don't think it would fly today though. I saw two adds for .22 rifles, a story about Moses and simple tools, a warning about playing with Blasting Caps, etc............   

Yes, good old Wood_Ogre outfitted a Kaholo 14 with a windsurfing sail and it works great as an open ocean fishing board. I tow a 90 foot fishing line! I would post a picture hear if I were smart enough but I forgot how!  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.