OK To Skip Sanding Between Varnish Coats?

Is it OK to skip sanding, and scotchbrignting, between the first few coats of Schooner varnish?  I'd like to apply more varnish without sanding to save time if it will work.  It's warm here so I'm getting real nice varnish surfaces, and I can recoat without sanding in about 3 hours (more like 6 hours required to sand).

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: OK To Skip Sanding Between Varnish Coats?

Maybe it will be OK. Or maybe your varnish will fail and you'll have to sand off ALL the varnish and start over. If you do anything other than following the manufacturer's directions, you're taking a risk. Seems to me if you're not willing to sand between varnish coats, maybe you should just paint instead.

I realize boating season is upon us, but hurrying is rarely a good idea in life and NEVER when you're building boats.

OK, thanks..I should have said this is for the "sticks" on a dory, the mast, boom, yard, and tiller extension.  I didn't know if you can apply thin, wipe on coats of varnish "hot" like you can epoxy.  Either way, I will do a 400 wet sand before the last coat, and I guess scotchbrite on the first few.

Thanks!

Curt [email protected]

Boat Build Photo Journal: https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE#

Moonchaser the answer is yes, treat as epoxy and apply when you can touch it and it's sticy but does not come off on your finger. I would not go any more than 3 coats in a 24 hr period.

Bruce

One more thing, your second and third coat will take a lot of varnish so make sure you use a dry brush/roller before you lose your edge or you will get sags runs drips and errors...lol

Bruce

Thanks Bruce...good info...I had good success doing that timing on my 4 "sticks" with the epoxy...I used a gloved hand to smooth the epoxy...wonder if a gloved hand would work on the sticks to smooth varnish too?

Curt

No, not if you want a really smooth coat. It works for epoxy because of the different viscosities and because the epoxy is not the final coat, it gets sanded.

To build quickly with guaranteed results, follow the directions. To explore and learn something new (and possibly have to do it all over again when it fails) try the science fair approaches. Nothing wrong with either approach, just realize what you're doing and be ready to accept the results, good and bad.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Your welcome Curt, never tried using sticks the wife always came behind me with a dry brush. I have even done this with the finish coat, the last coat being one of the multiple coats on push poles but it was tough to make sure there was no sags. Of course we are talking an 1 1/2 inch round stick 21 ft long. If you do 3 coats in a 24 hour period it may take a couple days before you get to sand depending temp humidity and how much japan drier you used.

Bruce

I will agree with Laszlo be careful and read the can. I dont use varnish any longer I use Awlgrip clear coat. The can says recoat after 6 hrs but it will become tack free after an hour. I have applied in the second hour and ended up with a real mess on my hands. So be careful you dont want to have to sand or scrape it off that sucks.

Bruce

Thanks much guys, I appreciate the comments.   I used one of the more top end foam brushes (with a plastic handle) and am impressed...it lays on varnish much more smoothly than any of the various foam brushes with wood handles and even maybe better than badger hair.  Last night I had all 4 sticks hanging in some manner with good lighting in a room that was still very warm from the day..likely around 85, and was able to get 3 thin coats on.  By the time I finished the last one, just a half hour later, the first one was ready to receive more varnish.  This morning I don't see a single drip or run they are all hardening up nicely, and I'll likely do a wet sand and varnish mid day today, and again late tonight and be done with 5 coats over epoxy on the sticks.

Thanks again

Curt

how sweet is that?

Bruce

Applying multiple coats of varnish too quickly can cause buhzillions of bubbles to form on the surface as the coats dry. Take your time. Savor the sanding, it's therapy without the meds!   Have Fun!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.