Shearwater 17 Hybrid Sheer Clamps

Hello all-

I've gotten up to the point where its time to glue my sheer clamps onto the panels.  The manual is very detailed on how much of the sheer is to be seen above the panel but does not mention much else.  I would like to know how to handle the length of the sheer clamp.  Do I cut the clamp so that it reaches from the tip of the stern to the tip of the bow, or am I supposed to leave some space?  The manual shows a picture of a clamp already cut a short distance from the end of the panel.  I think that I can figure out how to cut the angles of the clamps so that they meet up when I stich the panels together but the manual falls short here also.

thanks in advance,

Mike

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater 17 Hybrid Sheer Clamps

>>>>I would like to know how to handle the length of the sheer clamp.  Do I cut the clamp so that it reaches from the tip of the stern to the tip of the bow, or am I supposed to leave some space?  >>>>

Run the sheer clamps out past the ends of the panels at both ends.  You can see this in the photo, lower right on page 28 (Version 2.1). 

>>>>>The manual shows a picture of a clamp already cut a short distance from the end of the panel.  I think that I can figure out how to cut the angles of the clamps so that they meet up when I stich the panels together >>>>>

In the photo on Page 29, the sheer clamps have been planed to an angle where they will meet on the centerline.  It looks like it ends short of the end of the side panel because the side panel has been beveled, too (Page 30, Figure 5).  Precision in this cut is absolutely unecessary, and will be easy to adjust while you're wiring up the hull.

Mike, I wanted to ask you, since you are building the same kit I plan to get, if you found the stripping of the deck difficult, or have you gotten to that stage. I am trying to decide if I want the Hybird kit or the full S & G kit. My skills (first time builder) are not quite there for a full stripper but I thought I might be able to handle the deck. Would appreciate your thoughts on how it went for you. Thanks, Mark

I'm not Mike, but I am close to finishing a Shearwater 16 hybrid, and am pretty new to this as this is my second boat. As far as first-time-builder difficulties go, I'd say that for me, difficulties associated with building were related more to my relative inexperience with modern epoxy and fiberglass technique than anything else.

There is some knowledge that comes with experience regarding how to work with epoxy. Measure carefully, mix thouroughly. It takes some judgement to know how much you will need to mix to get a particular task completed. And how much you can safely mix and spread at one time without having it start to get hot, or setup before you have finished the task (too large a batch will heat itself in the cup and cure prematurely, a mess if it happens while you are applying it when that happens). There is a certain amount of mildy stressful, time-critical, ballet involved in pouring and wetting out a large area. Get it on and thinned out fast, ... and faster if the temperatures are higher. It helps to have an assistant who can at least mix epoxy while you are spreading. There has been plenty of discussion lately regarding sanding so I won't rehash that. None of this is overwhelmingly difficult to do correctly with no previous experience. But are things that you will get a feel for, and be more comfortable with as you gain experience.

As far as stripping goes. It takes some patience and time, but isn't really particularly difficult and is relatively forgiving of minor error. Main things are to take your time setting up and aligning the forms, and be careful to get each strip down tight to the forms, and tight against the adjacent strip. Eventually, it will be done and is a reasonably peaceful, low-stress, satisfying experience.

On the other hand, a S&G is faster, investing less total time in a first build is a stress reducer and would allow you to feel more comfortable with your technique, so that you would feel more confident putting the time into a stripped boat eventually. Lazlo's remarks now and again, regarding proper appreciation for a 'work boat' finish are very apropos. A 'work boat' finish on a stripped boat might start to be getting at crossed purposes though. On a S&G, not so much.

--

Ogata (eric) 

Sorry I got your name wrong ! You provided some very helpful information. I appreciate your taking the time to write it all out.There is a lot that goes into the build, a few things I was not really aware of until you pointed them out. I will order my kit next month so still have a little time to make a final decision. The information you and others provide certainly helps me to know what I have ahead, and what things to give special considetartion to. Thanks

Ooops, well no, Mike is the person who started this thread about Shearwater 17 hybrid sheerclamps.

Me, (eric), I'm the one who has hijacked the thread with a discussion that would be better placed under your earlier thread regarding "to build or not ". Sorry Mike! If I have anything else to say about this subject, I'll put it under that other thread.

--

Ogata (eric) 

I just turned 50 on 11/21/08, and am just now figuring this "thread stuff out" At least now I know how to post questions. You long for the good old days but then you would not have a Forum like this. Sorry Mike and Eric, I know how it works (Forum) now.

I agree with Eric that the hardest part of the building process will be the epoxy.  Every time I use it though I get a little better and more comfortable with it.  Its tough to predetermine how much epoxy to mix up so I have been ending up with a some extra.  Worst comes to worst you may have to buy more and your kayak may be a little heavier. 

Before I bought my kit I bought a few things that I highly recommend.  One is the DVD "The Zen of Wood Kayak Building".  Although a different kayak is built, both hulls are S&G and it was good to see some of the steps carried out with fiberglass and epoxy.  The book: Kayaks You Can Build: An Illustrated Guide to Plywood Construction is also excellent,  one of the kayaks that is built in the book has a strip built deck.  I also read and recommend Nick Schade's book, The Strip-Built Sea Kayak.  Buying the books and DVD is a well worth the investment in my opinion. 

Great free sources is this Forum and the website http://drw-hobbies.blogspot.com/   This site has many great pictures and good advice on building a shearwater hybrid.

Mike

Thanks for the information. I found the website you listed a couple of days ago. It shows a good step by step process. I am going to go with the Shearwater 17 S & G for my first build. After that I may attempt a Hybird deck on another CLC boat. Looking forward to it and no doubt will be hitting the Forum with questions. I read the Strip-Built Kayak and will order the DVD you suggested.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.