Kaholo 14 - Beveling

Hi all,

I am building a Kaholo 14 and I am wondering about beveling the plywood joints so they come together smoothly.  I recently built a Shearwater 17 and the instructions called for a bevel.  I do not find the same instruction for the Kaholo.  Please provide some feedback as to the best way to move forward.  

Thanks,

Tom

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo 14 - Beveling

Tom,  it is not required  - I just built a 14 (posted on the form a week ago) I did not bevel  - and this question has come up on the forum in the past.

Put the word "bevel" in the forum search tool and you will see some discussion on this.

Oddly I am about to build a shearwater double and am faced with beveling - 

I am building my second Kahola from plans and beveled both.  You will get a much nicer fit up by beveling which is really quick and easy.  To cut the bevel I wrap each piece do 60 grit paper on a 2 x 3/4 x 7 inch block of wood and used it like a plane.  The Okume cuts very quickly .  I beveled both the sides and bottom at nearly a 45 degree angle for most of the length.  Up at the bow the bevel is a lesser angle.  The depth of my bevel was the inside and mddle laminants of the plywood.  The plans show a bevel.  

Stickynick and Charlie,

Thank you for your responses.  I looked through the previous posts you mentioned and see the benefit and difficulty of beveling considering mine is a kit and I do not want to trim the frames to  allow for the bevel.

Tom 

Dont know if this applies to your situation:

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/stitch_glue/round_edges.html   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.