Recommendations for first kayak build?

Hello all,

My name is Cody,  I live just a bit inland from San Francisco.  In mid June I am hoping to order and build my first Kayak.  One of my coworkers turned me onto CLC boats, as he has built several from plans.  Currently, I am torn between two models, the Chesepeake 17 and the Shearwater 17. I am a bit of a larger individual, 6 foot tall, 185 pounds, big feet.  I was wondering if anyone could help me choose between the two?

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Recommendations for first kayak build?

I built a Shearwater 14 for my first build and I love it (I'm much smaller than you, so the 14 fits me).  It's a bit tippy, but once you get used to it, no problem, and it is fast, I can keep up with much longer boats.  Have never paddled a Chesapeake, so can't compare the two models. 

I have built CLC designs from both kits and plans and recommend the kits if they fit in your budget, not that much cost savings over plans in the long run, and the CNC cut pieces are great to work with (plus if you want a Sapele deck, the plywood is hard to find).

Have fun!

Kathy

cody,

best bet is to try them on for size.  sort of hidden on the CLC site is the builders club:

http://www.clcboats.com/builders_club/search/

you can search the models you are interested in and if somebody has it in your area and has registered....you can contact them.  i don't live in your area....but lot of friendly folks around the country....so you may want to give that a try.   i routinely have a couple visitors each year who i let try one on for size.

as for your particular description, both boats will handle your weight, but the chesapeake is certainly more roomy than shearwater;  particularly in the feet and knees.  the clc site has a feature to allow you to line up boats with one-another and give you a side-by-side comparison on all the critical measurements:

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boatcomparison.html

i tend to pay particular attention to knee height and feet size once you are in the right weight range.  if your feet don't fit...it will be uncomfortable.  knee height is also very important for comfort.  some people are very flexible and can sit comfortable with their legs flat out in front of them...some people are not comfortable in that position unless they can bend their knees up a bit.  that is what knee height measures.

once you have those right, than its really about what you like/looks good to you, your performance expecations and ease of construction.  in a nutshell, their performance is comparable with a clear nod the the shearwater, they are both considered about the same complexity.   the cheaspeake is clearly a larger volume, more roomy boat all around.

for whatever its worth, i would also throw the  chesapeake 17LT in the mix if your feet and knee height can accomodate it.  its a 17 but about an inch or so lower all around and looks nice and sleek relative the 17.

but make sure you have a boat that can handle your feet and knee bend requirement.  you can't make it comfortable if it does not work for you in those critical measurements.

best of luck...i am sure others will chime in

howard

Thank you all for the help!  I will use the search feature to try to find someone local with a boat to "try on" so to speak.

If you can wait CLC typically comes to Lake Natomas (Sacramento/Folsom area) for Labor Day, Sept. 1, where you can try different boats.  You may also find people there who have built one or the other.  I live in the East Bay (Concord) and built a WD12.  The Shearwater Sport sounds interesting to me. 

Ralph 

What jumps out at me between the two classes of boats is the difference in width, which will make a difference in stability and handling. A 17 foot long 22 inch wide kayak is a very nice combination, with reasonable stability, and that's the choice for a lot of experienced paddlers at your size. A 17 foot long kayak that is 24 inches wide will be more stable and may be better suited for a beginning kayaker or someone who wants to fish or tour, but it may not be quite as nimble in choppy water.

If you're going to be paddling around relatively calm water and you're used to sit on top kayaks, for instance, you may want to choose a 24 inch wide kayak as a first project. If you want to fish, I would go with the 24 inch wide kayak simply because of the added stability while reaching over the side to pull in that big catch.. It's also a good choice for someone who wants to do a lot of long touring trips because it will have more storage space and room inside to shift around...but a lot of folks tour in 22 inch wide kayaks and some might argue they're a bit easier to paddle, if only because you can hold the paddle more vertically for a power stroke. That's not much an issue for touring, where you typically cruise along at 3 mph and many use a horizontal stroke.

If you're looking to go out in rougher waters and play, I'd lean towards the 22 inch wide kayaks, but there's a bit more of a learning curve, what with learning to roll and do self rescues.

Thanks everyone for the help.  I do greatly appreciate it.  Ralph, it is a pleasure to meet another person from Concord.  That is where I live currently.

In regards to self rescues,  is it possible to perform one with the Chesepeake?

Cody,

I've only done a wet re-entry in a Chessie with a paddle float, but that worked fine. Don't know how cowboy would work.

Another thing to keep in mind is how you want to use your boat. Fishing or hanging out in tight channels (swamps, small creeks, tree-choked rivers) would work better in a shorter, wider boat like the WD series.

Ralph,

Long time no hear. Glad to see that you're stil around.

Laszlo

I am not as tall as you. But I have built and paddled three of the four kayaks mentioned here. The WD12 now feels like I am paddling a bath tub, still way better than the plastic boats that I have paddled. The 17LT initially felt way too tippy, but I quickly learned to like it, especially loaded for camping, keyhole cockpit is a bit tricky to get into/out of. The SWS is a good comprimise, good stability, can keep up with a group, can carry supplies for a week if you pack lightly, maybe my favorite boat. My wife wants to trade her WD12 for a SWS.

If you have big feet, maybe the Merganser from Eric Shade. Check out a blog by Two Foot Artist. He built a SW17, sold it, then built a Merganser.

Good Luck, JRC

go with the shearwater ,youll get usedto the stability almost immediatly a  big advantage is the puzzle joint construction its a much easier building method than  the chesapeak uses

I thought that the Shearwater 17 and Chesepeake 17 were both stitch and glue types?

Both are stitch and glue. The difference is how the longer panels are assembled. Search for instructions on Scarfing plywood. The Chesapeakes are scarfed, Shearwaters have puzzle joints. Also, the decks are more difficult to get right on the Chesapeakes. JRC

all of these boats are generally considered 'beginner' builds.

other than the difference of scarf vs puzzle joints mentioned above, the other major difference is the chesapeakes use sheerclamps on the hull and the deck is attached to the hull by mating it to the sheerclamps after bending it in shape over bulkheads.  some people find this process a bit tricky because of the challenge of trying to secure that bent deck to the sheerclamps (becuase the deck does not want to bend and you need a helper or a system to get it all attached).  that said, if you like the curved deck, you only have it on the chesapeakes.

the shearwater builds its deck similar to the hull and then the two pieces (hull and deck) are mated together with glass tape on the inside and outside.  which in my view, can also be considered a bit of a tricky operation....just a bit different with respect to the challenge of the chesapeake.  but basically, you are not trying to 'bend' something to fit when you attach the hull to the deck on the shearwater build.

that said, the first boat i ever built was a clcl17lt.  and a lot of first time builders have successfully navigated that process.

i would stay focused on what best suits you (fits you, gives you the performance you want and appeals to your eye)....while there are differences in the build process....they are both good beginner boats from a construction perspective.

Unless your planning extended camping go with the  shearwater its. A fantastic boat and an easy build.  Just about all the clc boats can be made by anyone  so go for the model you like that suits what you realisticaly will be using it for  (I bought the pax 20  and it was too much of a race boat for me)

Thank you all again for your help.  I will continue to do some more research and look for people in the area who have either of the boats in question.  The shearwater is absolutely gorgeous but I do like that the Chesepeake has so much cargo capacity.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.