whats the black bungie cord for in my skerry kit?

any ideas?

maybe i missed something in the instructions. 

whats the black bungie for (12 feet long)????
thanks again todd

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: whats the black bungie cord for in my skerry kit?

That's for attaching the tiller to the rudder yoke.  See Page 124.

DON'T DO IT!!  mine did not hold.  I now have the nylon toilet seat bolt from the plumbing dept at big box.  I drilled a hole in the tip to insert a tiny nylon wire tie as a keeper for the nut on the toilet bolt.  This idea was posted last year by another Skerry builder

Wag 7208

Hey Wag  7208,

On my Dory the kit comes with 1/4" line and a jam cleat to secure it.  As I understand it, this allows a sailor to loosen that line to lay the tiller extension in the boat when not sailing.  From your experience, does it work to have the tiller yoke and the tiller extension "bolted" together?

Thanks...Curt

The Skerry manual and kit call for running a bungie up thru the yoke with a stop knot, thru the extension and then wrapped several wraps on the extension,  This connection came loose while I was in dire straits.  Never again. Fortunately I had a safety line on the extension or I would have lost it. (Ohio River, wind, current). I like the plastic bolt.  I just leave it connected.  I could cut off the wire tie keeper if I want to disconnect for storage or trailering.

Steve

Just for a different point of view, my sailing dinghy's tiller had a 2-axis universal joint that popped apart out on a river. I was able to drift to an island where I saw that the u-joint was irreparable, some screw threads had failed. Fortunately I had seen an NE Dory being rigged at Okoumefest and I had some spare line onboard, so I was able to lash the tiller to the rudder as described above and salvaged a sailing trip.

FWIW, my tiller rudder connections on my sailboats are now based on stainless steel clevis pins with retaining rings, but lashing is not all bad.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Off Center Harbor has a great video series by Geoff Kerr on building a Caledonia Yawl.  The first video is a demo sail.  He makes a BIG point of the attachment of  of the tiller ext to the rudder yoke.  It's a short length of rope with 3 knots; one above the yoke, one between the yoke and tiller ext and one under the tiller ext.  That's it!  The tiller ext hangs under the yoke. One knot has to be tied and untied to disconnect. But I'm sure it's not going to come apart out on the water

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.