Your Ideas On "Strap Slots" in dory bulkheads...under thwart seat boards?

I'm doing the final fitting of the thwart seat boards on the buklheads (NE Dory) and have one small bit of router work I still want to do and wanted to see if any of you have suggestions on this idea before I make sawdust.   My thought is to route a slot 2" wide and 1/2" deep in the tops of the buklheads directly above the limber holes, and when I do the floatation, also leave the same size slot in the foam where it will be glued to the under side of the thwart seat board, thus leaving slot all the way through to be able to run a strap under the thwart seat board should the need ever arise, for strapping stuff down while trailering, or strapping down storage bags, or whatever, while out on the water.  Of course I'll re-epoxy the exposed wood when I make the slots in the buklhead, and epoxy the slots in the foam floatation so a strap can be easily pushed through...

Any thoughts, pro, con, or suggestions?

Thanks!

Curt 830/997-8120  [email protected]

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Your Ideas On "Strap Slots" in dory bulkheads...under thwart seat boards?

Seein' as it's Sunday evening, it may be my critical faculties are not 100%, but my first thought is if you want to lash stuff down/in why not just run a tie down cord or strap through the limber holes?

Actually I thought about that, but a strap thru the limber hole would pull on the foam floatation and I assumed it would eat into the foam where a strap snugged up directly under the thwart seat boards could be snugged up without eating into anything....     But, one thing I just thought of right now is that each end of the thwart seat boards are only held in by 1/2" of two small wood screws...and it may be OK to tie light weight things down under the thwart boards but I may not try to tie down oars etc while trailering for fear the bouncing could pull the screws out.

OK, new idea...after thwart seat boards and floatation are all in place and finished, drill a hole thru the foam pieces and bulkhead on each side of the bulkhead where the hole = the OD of a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and just tap in a piece of pipe that would go thru both pieces of foam and bulkhead.  A piece of line could be left in these tubes and used to tie the mast, spars and sail down...

A hole in the bulkhead above the thart board would work but would pull the item toward the more delicate vertical edge of the bulkhead and not down flat onto the thwart seat board.

Guess some pad eyes on the front and back edges of the thwart seat boards would work too...could even make some out of wood and glue them on

other ideas to tie things down that people have done?

easier still some nylon loops screwed in like they do for kayak deck rigging

You mean like these?

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/fitting_out/hold_down_fittings.html

Exactly,I use a center punch heated with a candle to make the screw hole  these are strong cheap and easy and don't get in the way.instal them close to the seat bench and they won't be visible

About the nylon strap positions that are "close to the seat bench": are they installed under the leading/trailing edge of the seats in a recess in the flotation pods?  I think that this is what is being suggested but not certain of the orientation.   I want to lash down the bag containing the mast, spars and oars so they don't bounce in transit.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.