Launched Wood Duck 10

I finally got around to finishing what was supposed to be a boat for my daughter from a kit I purchased about three years ago.  Part way through the build we realized she didn't have a secure place to store it at her apartment.  I stopped construction and hung it from the ceiling in my woodshop via a couple of 1" straps.  An impending move to MN forced me to finish it this spring.  We launched it today and it paddles a lot better than I had expected...I should have completed it 2011!

My wife had never paddled solo before and she found it quite stable.

I opted to paint the hull.  I had a few issues the epoxy going bad after long-term storage and had to scrape a layer off.  The paint worked great to hide the "carnage."  I brought the paint up 3/4" over the deck and radiused the bow and stern...I like this look better.  

Considering the issues I had with the bad layer of epoxy, the final product turned out pretty good.

I might even lay out the bucks for a shorter, more vertical paddle.  Check out this link to a short video of my initial launch:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106633993963598078630/photos/photo/6011157575043600402

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Launched Wood Duck 10

Nice! Thanks for shaing.  

*sharing

Lindo barco!!

beautiful --- nice work!

Very nice - that green paint scheme looks great.   

May I ask how long that paddle is? CLC say 240cm Cabela's when you by a 30" wide kayak they give you a 84" (210cm) long paddle. I am currently working on a WD 10 and 12 and have made a couple 18' wooden pushpoles and I'm going to convert one to 2 paddles but the million dollar question is How long? Big differece between 84" and 94.5".

thanks,

Bruce

Sorry, very nice job!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.