Footbrace Mounting Kit - Bonding Question

New builder here making progress on my Mill Creek 16.5 Hybrid.  I went with the internal footbrace mounting kit to avoid bolts through the hull, and have a question regarding bonding.

Actually, it's also a general epoxy question. 

Will layers of epoxy bond well to each other regardless of how far apart they are in time?

It seems the mounting kit is okay being added as a retrofit, but will the new epoxy/glass that secures the kit bond well to the hull if it's days or even weeks after they have cured?  Do I need to scuff it or prepare it in any way to receive the new epoxy?

I opted for interior cockpit glass, and I'm wondering how long I have until I should mount the kit.

thanks much!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Footbrace Mounting Kit - Bonding Question

You should be OK as long as you sand the cured mating surface to give the new epoxy something to bond to.  I waited a few days between the last coat at mounting my studs and they are rock solid.

John

I've also had good luck using Cell-O-Fill to thicken the resin used to bond bare wood to fiberglass. I mixed the resin and hardener, stirred it for two minutes and then stirred in enough Cell-O-Fill to thicken the resin to the consistency of peanut butter. I've read that it's not a good idea to put too much clamping pressure on Cell-O-Fill, so I used spring clamps. It's worked for me.  

Great advice, and thanks much!  I'll give it a good scuff prior to mounting.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.