Peeler center console: build from the start or retrofit.

So I'm looking at the Peeler kit and I'm not exactly sure if I want to do the center console or not.  My question is whether I complicate things by putting off the decision until after the boat is finished.  Is it easier and simpler to build it with the center console from the start and am I adding to the work and complexity of the project if I decide to retrofit it later?   Or is the center console an add-on that I can do later without difficulty?

Anyone done it either way and care to comment?

I'm guessing the main issue would be picking a motor that could be controlled via tiller or steering cable.   I haven't shopped motors yet so I'm not sure if that is an issue.  

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler center console: build from the start or retrofit.

You can easily add the CC later and it would make it easier to flip the boat over without it installed.  I'm sure the new instructions would say to put the console in later on in the build.  Klitz would know, he just ordered the console.  I am in the process now of adding my own console and a custom "box" seat.  I used CLC's basic concept and modified it to my personal taste.  Mine is a few inches lower, steering wheel is more horizontal, my front seat is a bit smaller, etc.  And i used solid Fijian Mahogany for the seats and top. 

You will want to get a motor with remote steering as a tiller will need a refit kit to change over to remote steering.  I'm going with a 15 hp Honda remote steering with power tilt. 

The other thing that might arise as more people build the Peeler is how to run the cables, modify the seats, etc.  I have already cut out the center bulkhead middle support (John stop cringing) because my console ties into the bulkhead on each side and gives it extra strength.  Removing that little pillar center piece opens up the back of the console for easier access to storage.   It might be feasable to run the cables under the seats through a sealed tube that runs through the flotation tanks.  Something to consider before you install the seats.  Thats too late for me so I am going the same route at CLC's boat.  After months or actually all year, I decided to go with the console.  The boat will run much better and I think will be a blast to steer with a nice wheel.

Here is how I see it. I'm building a Peeler and after the seats are in, I'll turn it over and finish the exterior. I plan to do the exterior completely, a little different than the building manual. Then it will be righted back over and ready to finish the inside,,,,, and in my case, install the Center Console. If I were not 100% sure on the console, like you, you could hold off until later at that point, or install it.  The catch is turning the boat with the console installed. So get the exterior done and you will be ready for either decision. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.  Ken. 

Some of you guys are building boats for big water and long distances and for that you definitely want a center console.  I spent most of my life in Oregon and Alaska and owned a whole series of boats I used for saltwater fishing and diving in Southeast Alaska in the Juneau area.  I had a center console 18' bayrunner aluminum skiff for a few years and you definitely want to stand for long distance runs in chop and messy seas.  I also had a zodiak with a tiller motor that I used as a tender for a larger cabin cruiser and it was fun for poking around.   Now that I live in Texas most of the boating is going to be smaller lakes and rivers and I don't really know yet whether I'm going to be doing the sort of boating where a center console becomes essential.  I expect it will be more lazy summer stuff with the kids.

Adding up the costs I'm guessing a center console will be pushing an extra $1000 before all is said and done.   I'd rather not pull the trigger on it until I'm sure it is something I really want.  I think a more likely scenario is that the Peeler will be more of a knock around boat and I may be forced to eventually pick up a larger fiberglass center console or dual console boat in the 20' range with a much larger engine when the kids start to want to water ski and I get the itch to get back into ocean fishing.

Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instruction! At least I hope I don't need them. Got my upgrade last week but no instructions. It will be awhile before I need them. I don't think there would be much difference in the build if you wait on the upgrade. The retrofit on the motor would be about $500 to $600 (US) and there is an 8 in. minimum radius on the steering cable. I don't know what the limit on the throttle/shift linkage might be.

Have fun whichever way you go.

If the motor retrofit is $500-600 then the whole cost is going to be pushing $1500.  Not sure it's really worth it to me at that price considering this won't be the last and only boat I'll own.

One big advantage to a center console is that it provides a very handy location to mount electronics.  It would be the perfect spot to mount a fishfinder/gps combo unit.  And other safety items such as a handheld or fixed mount VHS.  I'm not sure where one mounts those items on a standard tiller control skiff.

Hey, Texasdiver  where in Texas are you?  We're between Kerrville and Fredericksburg in Hill Country  Curt [email protected]

>>>So I'm looking at the Peeler kit and I'm not exactly sure if I want to do the center console or not.  My question is whether I complicate things by putting off the decision until after the boat is finished.  Is it easier and simpler to build it with the center console from the start and am I adding to the work and complexity of the project if I decide to retrofit it later?   Or is the center console an add-on that I can do later without difficulty?>>>

Obviously we retrofitted ours.  The instructions for the center console (43 pages) explain how to do it either way.  Retrofitting probably takes about 20 minutes longer than building in the console during construction (just long enough to sand off some paint and varnish).  Even if you plan rom the start to install the console, it still doesn't go in until the very, very end of the project.  

Thanks John.  That confirms for me that I don't need to be buying the kit now.  If I was going to have to cut back a lot of existing work to fit it in that would be different.

Moonchaser.   I'm in the Waco area.  teach aquatic science at one of the local high schools.  I'd mostly be using a skiff for the local lakes...Lake Waco, Lake Belton, and Lake Whitney, and for crusing up and down the Brazos River.  I do that a lot now with canoe and kayak but the afternoon winds we get here all summer long make that rather unpleasant paddling at times.  Especially with little kids in front who don't weight the canoe enough to make it track.   Really looking for a boat to get the kids out on the water more during our summer heat.  Would probably install some sort of swim ladder and just let them play.  I don't think the Peeler is big enough to really pull a tube properly but I think they'll still have lots of fun.  Probably use it also for crappie and panfish fishing.  The kids don't have the patience for bass fishing.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.