Your Ideas On Securing Oars, Mast, Spars, Daggerboard, Rudder While Trailering

How do you secure oars, mast, spars, rudder, and daggerboard in your boat while trailering?  (mine is a dory but this applies to others I know too).

Do you carry everything inside the boat?

Do you leave the sail lashed to the spars in a stuff sack?

How do you tie things down?

Looking forward to ideas!! 

Thanks

Curt 830/997-8120

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Your Ideas On Securing Oars, Mast, Spars, Daggerboard, Rudder While Trailering

I tow behind a pickup, so I put everything into the truckbed and have only the hull (with the drop keel in the up position) on the trailer. Less weight and stress on  the trailer that way.

Laszlo

RE: Your Ideas On Securing Oars, Mast, Spars, Daggerboard, Rudder While Trailering

Here are some pics of my set up when I trailer my Passagemaker Dinghy

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Chris Harlan

Here is a bigger version of one of the pictures...

sail, yard and boom are in the green bag underneath the two multi-purpose struts which help to secure oars and mast as well as tie down the hull to the trailer.

The struts are fastened at the oar locks and the mast rests in front on a yoke which rests in the mast step. The rear strut has a yoke for the back part of the mast.

Note: This set up is for a lug rigged PMD.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, That is some seriously good work, and thanks for your time to post the pics and comments!  I'm still looking at the pictures and concocting ideas..thanks!   Curt 830/997-8120

I too have a dory.  I built a frame that sits on top and carries everything.  Two parallel 2x4s about five feet apart, are connected with a wide 12 inch plank.  The 2x4s are notched at the ends to fit exactly over the gunnels and top plank of the boat.  The notches, which were a tough fit, are lined with a very heavy felt-like material (with a sticky side) from Home Depot.  This frame fits snugly athwart the center of the boat.  Along the tops of the 2x4s I cut a series of half circle and square notches to hold round oars and square mast, etc.  These too are lined with the heavy felt.  The connecting wide board has indoor carpet on top and holds the rudder/dagger board.  The sail is wrapped around the spars and the bundle just sits on top.  I have two straps that go around eveything above and the boat/trailer below.  These straps secure the spars, etc to the 2x4s and the 2x4 frame to the boat.  Its all very secure and very easy to use.  The only difficult building part was trial fitting the notches at the ends of the 2x4s.  Have fun!

FrankF, I like your description.  Sounds pretty easy to pull off.  Could you post a pic?  To me it seems the rudder is the hardest to stow properly for over road travel.

Update..thanks for everyone's ideas...it helped me figure out what to do....took my dory on the trailer to the sailmaker today to make the travel cover and bags for oars, etc and here's what we ended up with:

--cover is out of fully waterproof vinyl/cloth material with a Sunbrella outer edge for the drawstring

--Two oar bags (for two oars each) will be made out of Sunbrella with fold overs (or ties) on the entry end, made baggy enough for the oar locks

--He is making a bag for the sail (with the spars still tied on) out of Sunbrella with a full length zipper to act like a stack pack.

--I went to Home Depot (per his recommendation) and got a 5' x 12' piece of fuzzy gray indoor/outdoor carpet and he is using that to sew up some custom shaped "sleeves" for the daggerboard, rudder, tiller and also making sleeves to go under the trailer tie down straps out of the same carpet

--so when I'm trailering I will 1) put sleeve tubes of carpet on both ends of the mast, and just lay it down on the thwarts, and tie it down thru the limber holes.  2) The sailbag will also rest on the thwarts, loosely tied down same way  3)  I am devising a way to make the tiller removable from the rudder so they will each have their own fully encased carpet sleeves and just lay flat on the floor.  3) The mast partner will be left in place in place (he made the cover to fit to do that), and I will make a board  with carpet under the ends to lay on the rails with dowels into the inner rail slots a few feet in from the stern.  The oars (in their bags) will be strapped up under (or on top of) this board and the mast partner.  The tiller extension will slide into one of the oar bags.  But really, I could just put carpet tubes around the oar bags and tie them down to the thwarts as well, but leave the mast partner in sailing position to help keep the cover from trapping water.

At least that's the plan for right now...any other ideas appreciated as he is making the bags and carpet sleeves tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Curt 830/997-8120

Do a search on this site for 'spar bag'. For a mere $288 it's yours.

Thanks catboater, Yeah, I knew about that..I actually was asking CLC about that before they went up for sale.  I wanted a full length zipper for the sail/spar bag more like a stack pack, not a slide in, plus I want a separate bag for each pair of oars, not part of the spar bag...so easier to just have all 3 bags custom made.   Now their padded oar bags, they do look nice.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.