Kaholo deck question

I'm a first timer builder and am building from plans Kaholo 12-6.  The top deck patterns show a half forward section to be duplicated creating a right and left section.  The plans say to use a scarf joint to join to the aft section.

The plans also say to fiberglass the underside of the completed deck section.  There is no mention as to how to join the two forward sections at the centerline.  What am I missing?  The plans don't show a scarf joint there.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo deck question

I think you're confusing the deck with the hull. The deck is only two pieces total, one forward and one aft, joined by a scarf. The hull has two forward pieces.

You're right.  What confused me was they showed half a pattern and I thought they meant to create two pieces not one.  I understand now.

Thanks

I am in the process of building my second Kahola. Be sure to note that the bow panels overlap between frames 1 and 2.  The plans say to bevel the side and bottom edges to 45 degrees.  You wouldn't think that it is necessary to bevel such thin wood but it is and makes for a very nice fit up.  The Okume is very soft and cuts fast so I beveled it with 60 grit  paperon a block of wood.   In fact, after cutting out the panels I finished cut them to size with the 60 grit on a block of wood.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.