Fillet forming tip from Duckworks

This looks like a very good way to form fillets, especially in hard to access or obstructed areas.

Never mind, this crude forum software won't allow me to paste from an iPad.

Arrgh! I finally found out how to make a cursor appear.......This forum is like something out of the 90's!! Midway through the second decade of the 21st century and the forum software isn't fully compatible with iOS, amazing and pathetic! Is it my fault for using such an obscure product  (iPad) to access the internet?

Anyway here's it is:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/14/howto/balls/index.htm

The tip was to use round balls on a stick instead of a flat tool. This lets you form nice fillets even around structure.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fillet forming tip from Duckworks

How about this one?

http://www.bergerboote.de/katalog.html#!/~/product/category=2248940&id=27258267

Ruud

The thing to keep in mind about forming fillets is that the point is to make a smoothly curved surface for the glass tape to lay on. If the radius of the curve is too wide, you're wasting epoxy. If the radius is too narrow, the glass will bubble and pull away.

A good rule of thumb is a 5/8" radius (about the size of a US 5-cent coin) for 9 oz glass. Larger radius for heavier glass, smaller for lighter.

The marble balls in the Duckworks article are too big and will result in heavier fillets and excessive epoxy use. But the idea is sound.

Laszlo

PS - A Kindlefire HX-7 works just fine with the forum software.

Lastly, it depends upon what size boat you are building. For instance 27' Tolman Skiff or  25' Bluejacket will use a larger fillet than a CLC kit. The heavier cloth needs a larger radius and on a larger boat the bigger radius looks appropriate too. For a small radius, use a small drawer knob for a bigger one use a billiard ball!

Sorry Laszlo, the autospell changed your name to Lastly, my apologies. Too bad we cannot edit posts.... 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.