See light thru bow and stitch holes OK, eh?

This was an odd thing...right in the middle of appying the last coat of epoxy to the inside of my dory, I had a work light clipped on the wall pointed at the bow and my head was down in the boat and I noticed I could see light thru the bow in 3 spots on the sides of the bow fillet, where the laps came together ..interesting that I had some epoxy mixed with wood flour and some with cel o fil on the outside of the bow...only the spots with cel o fil were showing light thru....  So then I held the llight on the side of the boat and as I suspected I could see light thru all (well most) of the wire stitch holes even though they are filled with non thickened epoxy...this is all OK, isnt it?  Thanks!  Curt

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: See light thru bow and stitch holes OK, eh?

Curt, let's walk through this slowly.

When you mixed up the unthickened epoxy to wet out your glass, was it opaque? When you wet out your glass, could you see the wood grain through the epoxy? When the epoxy cured, could you stil see the wood grain through the epoxy?

Based on your answers above, should you expect to be able to see light through the cured plug of epoxy in a stitch hole?

Next week's lesson, if a boat floats, does it weigh the same as a duck? :-)

Have fun, you're almost done,

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo..yeah, being able to read by the light coming thru the unthickened epoxy in the stitch holes is no surprise, but the lap joints on the bow that I can see light thru were all filled and faired with thickened epoxy using cel o fil so it made me wonder if those spots may be thin...wish I had a big pair of calipers..  The lap joints that I can not see thru were filled with wood flour thickened epoxy....no surprise that I cant see thru those.

Curt,

It's just that the different fillers have different opacities. I'd be really surprised if the thickness differed between them.

Here's something to be on the lookout for - when you get it out into the sunlight, you may see a bunch of bright speckles in the naturally finished areas. That happens when the ends of some of the glass fibers line up and form light pipes. If you have a long uncut fiber, the light could be coming from the far end of the boat.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.