Refurbishing mill creek 16.5 with new paint and varnish

Hello, I am looking to strip the paint and varnish from my mill creek and redo it completely by resanding and finishing with new paint and varnish . The inside is a red paint color and I want to strip that completely and redo with standard varnish . The hull and top are varnished and I want to now paint the hull and redo the deck with new varnish. What is the easiest way to strip the paint and varnish down to bare wood and resand and finish ? Thanks mark hondru

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Refurbishing mill creek 16.5 with new paint and varnish

mark,

not sure why no replies so far.  i have refinished a couple kayaks and have researched the process.  there is a lot of different advice out there.

the approach i have inevitably gone with involved a lot of careful sanding.  i examined approaches involving chemical as well as heat.  in most cases i abandoned the chemical approach becuase i did not want that type of chemical around the house and i was concerned about surface or wood contamination.  heat for me was just not a  real advantage over scraping and sanding.  i suspect i also chose sanding becuase i felt i could detect and correct a problem before it became a big problem that couldn't be corrected.

a couple comments.

changing to clear/varnish over previosuly painted surfaces is hard because you must remove 100% of the old paint.  i have used paint-scrapers and ROS sanders (attached to vacume) to do it and have just been patient.  it's also important to make sure you fix any holes in the fibreglass or epoxy coat that you may accidently sand through in the process of taking the paint/varnish off.

for paint over paint it is pretty straight forward as it is more of a surface prep-kind of process.  you don't have to get all of the old finish off.

paint over varnish is similar to paint over paint.  its a surface prep type of process.

varnish over varnish is again a surface prep oriented type of activity.  you only need to sand down to the point you have a good surface to rebuild from.

in refinishing, it's also important to make sure you fix any holes in the fibreglass or epoxy coat that you may accidently sand through in the process of taking the paint/varnish off.  its also important to use the cleaning process for the paint or varnish recommended to ensure that that first and subsequent new coat will not become a mess.

the clcl site in the section 'tips for boatbuilders' has the following article  http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/refinishing.html  that is useful.  the other articles in that section are also a great read in the refinishing process

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.