how to balance oars?

Hi,

we bought flat blade oars for our Skerry from Fyne Boat Kits who also supplied us with the Skerry kit. The oars came all the way from NZ (!) and are made of Tasman Fir. If I measure the position of the oarlock the oars seem not very much balanced. The balance point is somewhere near the middle of the oars more to the side of the blade so I wonder how they will feel in the water. Looking at the pictures from CLC oars the ones with the red square inboard seem to have a sort of counter weight on the inboard side. Now to the questions:

- do this simple flat blade oars disregard a good balance and since these are not very heavy anyway its not neccessary to think about it 

- where should be the balance point of oars and how to estimate it

- how does the buoyancy of the wood influence the balance point

- does one need to consider the weight of the arms when holding the oars 

Would be great to hear from experience with oars.

Thanks!

Reinhard

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: how to balance oars?

If you're going to be rowing for long stretches balance is very important. For short distances, not so much.

Buoyancy does affect the balance.  The oars should have slightly more weight outboard of the oarlock. The exact amount depends on how much of the blade is meant to be in the water and for how long during each stroke.

The best thing to do is to try the oars, then add weight along the length and move that weight until the balance feels good while rowing. Then you can decide whether to leave th eadditional weight or to remove mood until the balance matches the experiment.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo,

thanks for your help and practical approach. I guess this is the only real way to find out, but its still a while to go until early summer has arrived and we finally will put our Skerry in the waters for the first time. Till then still a lot is to do such as varnishing the oars and attaching the leather collars. Thats how the question on balancing oars came up. I guess I need to be patient and see how the oars will feel.

Reinhard

Hi,

just found this page concerning how to balance oars: http://www.tsca.net/puget/resources/oars/John_DeLapp_Oars.pdf

It answers my questions very well. Lets see how it will turn out in the end.

Reinhard

Reinhart,

There is a really good and descriptive book that can answer just about any question on rowing, setup, balance, etc.

"The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Rigging" by Mike Davenport                    A step by step guide to the Rigging of Rowing Equipment for Beginners and Intermediates

Mouse House Books 1988,1992

library of congress catalog card number  92-91056

Hope it helps.

Rowboy   (formerly usrowboy)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.