righting a dory

how hard is it to recover from a capsize in a dory?  [lug rigged] any thoughts on extending the aft seat compartment to the first bench  and enclosing the front seat to the bow [ similar to the existing aft compartment] would decking the rear like that interfere with anything? it would add flotation and the rear section could  be used for sleeping ,perhaps with a small one man tent.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: righting a dory

You'd probably want to sleep in the middle for balance and stability.

Laszlo

The question really is, how hard is it to capsize a Dory? I'm sure it can be done, but I had mine out in conditions that I probably shouldn't have with no reef points in the sail, had to jibe as the wind/waves wouldn't permit tacking, and never came close to a knockdown. I've been sailing for years, which helped, but that was a new boat for me at the time. Bottom line, the Dory is a pretty rock solid boat. That said, if a knockdown does occur, I'm not sure if that's an easy boat to get back upright. Someone here may have experience in that area. Neil Calore, Leatherlungs of the Florida Watertribe, has a lot more experience in a Dory than I do, maybe try to contact him.

As far as design changes, the guys at CLC would be able to answer those questions. I would talk to them first before doing anything.

George K

better idea for sleeping .i have a really comy cot for camping with adjustable legs ,i simply set it up above the seats and pop up a floorless tent . i just need to be far enough from shore so bugs arent an issue.  being in florida thats the main reason for sleeping aboard

as far as flotation and righting the boat i see leather lungs uses float bags front and aft to redue the volume of water to pump out

I love sailing dingys. Been doing it for 40 years. Snipes, Lasers, sunfish, 420s, FJs, JY15s, BlueJays, Interclubs, Moths... I don't want to lecture, but:

Please, please on a warm day, with warm water, lifejackets on (always), take your boat out and capsize her. Figure out how hard she is to right, get into (another recient post), bail, and sail away from a capsize. Find out what you need (bailers, airbags...). Do all this with little to no wind or seas. Find out if your rig comes unstepped when the boat is upside down, does the rudder have a lock or goes floating...

A real capsize is ussually because something has gone wrong and is not the time to learn how to deal with this specific craft and its idiosyncrasies.

Just like all kayakers should know how, and practice, wet exits, deep water entry, and other basic rescue skills, Sailors should do the same.

These drills are not only important for safety, but they are fun! Capsizing, Man over board, Kayak upside down, when practiced, become fun, and not a stressful panicy experience. Sooooo have some fun this summer.

Joel

This is some of the best advice I'v ever seen on this forum, Thanks Joel... SEEYA Jack  

Joel has given the best advice. I would also try it several times if you have any problems.

You might also want to have a chase boat on scene and let observers on shore know that you are running drill so as not to cause a panic.

Righting a boat may require furling the sails if they are holding too much water.

One should also release all sai trimming and tiller locks so that when the boat is righted it does not sail away. This will require one to understand the rigging of the boat.

The drill will also let you see how the boat sets when capsized and swamped.

The reason for the drill is to devleope the plan and experience so the actions become automatic and one is not spending time thinking about how to fix the problem. In bad weather time to revover is a matter of life and death. In cold weather you have minutes to get out of the water and get back to a dry warm environment.

You might also want to try swimming fully dreseed and see why the advice of staying with the boat is stessed so much. That is also why you want to have chase boat on site.

I third that. Great advice from Joel. It reminds me of what's-his-name in Texas who built a John's Sharpie (I'll never forget old what's-his-name!) who had the very same philosophy.  He and his wife took the boat out and capsized it, and the experiment led to a signifigant design change!  Later, it led to a RADICAL design change: the monohull became a trimaran.

Charlie!!  I just remembered.  His first name was Charlie. (Nurse arrives, wipes away drool...it turns out we are having meatloaf again this evening!)

lots of years kayaking so i'm well aware of the importance of practicing capsize recovery [that's why i asked about it] i wouldn't feel comforatable on the water  in a small boat i wasn't confident i could self rescue in.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.