advice on keeping the varnish can clean and not wasting varnish

On my last build I had a tough time with the varnish can.  Pouring was always a bit messy and left me frustrated that I'm wasting such expensive product.  When I opened the can there would be a layer of dead varnish skin on the varnish that was cumbersome to remove or would clog my strainer.

I figured I would ask the seasoned builders here their tricks for not wasting varnish and pouring.

Has anyone tried this trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbfaATlacbA

punching holes in the lid... or those funky pouring lids?

Looking forward to any ideas.

Tim

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: advice on keeping the varnish can clean and not wasting varnish

The tip is for draining the liquid in the lip of the can.

If you are talking about the "skin" on top of the contents in the can that is a different issue. That skin is caused by oxegyn within the sealed can. You might try filling the can with an inert gas before closing or turning the can upside down. The inert gas displaces teh oxygen in the can. Turning the can upside down causes and skin that is formed to be at the bottom of the can when the can is turned right sideup.

RE: advice on keeping the varnish can clean and not wasting varnish

I have not tried it yet but I saw a tip that suggested placing a piece of kitchen "cling wrap" on top of the varnish left in the can which should limit the exposed surface area  and any "skin" should stick to it.

When I pour from the can I pour over a tounge depressor to keep varnish off the side of the can.

I also punch holes in the recessed lip of the can so the varnish will drain back into it.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.