Wood Duck 12 Stem and Stern solid pieces

I am a new builder working on a WD 12 and I am interested in adding the solid stem and stern pieces that I saw on Laszio's site. But I'm not sure of the sequence of events having to do with following the instruction manual, tacking the hull and deck, then fillet the bow and stern of the hull and re-attach the hull and deck assembly so that both cure in the proper shape. At what point can I epoxy in the solid wood stem and stern pieces. and still do the re-attachment of the deck and hull. Will filleting the bow and stern prevent me from adding these solid pieces after the fact.  

Thanks

Chuck

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 Stem and Stern solid pieces

I have followed alot of Lazlo's ideas. The right time is just after filleting, before you apply the 2 required coats of epoxy to the inside. Just make sure that they are recessed enough to avoid interference with the deck. Easier to adjust when wet than to chisel out later. I have used 1x2 with 2 edges removed with a block plane.

Good luck, JRC

Hi guys,

In my build I put them in after the seams were tacked but before the seams were filleted. If you're going right to filleting and taping without tacking, put them in after the taping.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks JRC and Laszio for getting back to me on this. The instruction manual has a step that is part of the tack-welding the hull and it includes a fillet with thickened epoxy (no tape) in the bow and stern area to help stiffen the hull. I was concerned that I would not be able to fit the solid wood pieces in after. But I tacked it this morning and did a very narrow fillet in the bow and transom. No pieces of wood yet. The blocks of wood I made do not go all the way deep into the V. A small gap remained so I'm hoping that I have left enough room to add them next step which is after the tacks cure and before I fillet and tape the hull.  

Thank you guys

chux64

That is when I put them in. I did regular fillets, tape, and then the wood blocks. All while the fillets were still wet. A little peanut butter epoxy on the back ensures a good fit with no gaps. Some guys will comment on wieght, but 4 strips of tape sandwiched under the block, you would have to rip the whole back end of the boat off to get the block to move. Just make sure to fit them while the tacks are mostly dry, but before you fillet.

JRC

Thanks JRC for your help. This will keep me out of  the groaning chair for a while!! But I have a feeling, not for long.

I am a new builder considering the Wood Duck 12 Hybrid.  Could someone please direct me to the original thread about how to build the solid stem and stern?  Thanks.

Art,

It's not a thread. The reference was to my WD12 build website, Building a Wood Duck 12. The information about solid stem and stern pieces is at http://www.morocz.com/BoatBuilding/DuckBuild3.htm

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo,

I can see where you are an invaluable asset for us newbies!

Art

Since you already have the shape you sould be able to pick up that from  the stem section. They give you the point for the stem and forefoot (the roundy part) draw that from after you shape that section, trace it out on a piece of 1x8 of whatever, red cedar. Then I believe the bevels on the stem section is 45 degrees bevel the stem as the plan calls for on the plan or manual. you could also pick that bevel up with a bevel gauge as simple as  two ends of a hacksaw blade riveted together.

I also am in the process of building a 10ftr and 12ftr WD hybrid. Never really even thought of having a stem piece on there but it is a good idea, a place to set screws for hardware. I started from plans and I am just to the process of marking the pattern out on the plywood. This will be my first stitch and glue boat. So I am alsway looking for Ideas from people who are in the process or have built theseso I know what to look for as I go along. Not sure what the deck material will be yet, probably cypress and wht cedar.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.