rice paper graphic

I just finished laying some paw print graphics on the deck of my cedar strip kayak and have epoxied over them and the entire deck prior to glassing. As suggested by numorous other posts, I did a test on a scrap piece of wood which came out fine. Unfortunately, the kayak didn't fair as well ( bummer). The first three prints had no problem, but as I progressed to the remaining prints there was an increasing amount of greenish yellow ghostly smear that got worse on each successive print. I used a small bristle brush to epoxy the prints and am thinking I picked up a little toner after each print and transferred it to the next. I am at a loss as to how to deal with this.  It is very faint, but is visable in certain light and angles. Does anyone know if this will fade out. If not, is there any other alternative. I was thinking of just sanding it out, but that may turn out worse than the original problem. Currently, I see no other option but to scrap out the deck and start over. 

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: rice paper graphic

Did you use a laser printer or inkjet? Both will work, I use an Epson inkjet (they have pretty good archival ink) and print the image in reverse on the paper. Then I put it on the deck ink side down. That way the graphic will be flipped back to the right direction and when the paper is wetted out and becomes clear the ink wont be disturbed. There's no way of telling if the greenish yellow will fade. If not, can you live with it? If not you might as well go ahead and sand it off, reprint on the "back side" of the paper and put it down again. 

George K

Thanks for the feedback George. It was an injet and I failed to do the reverse thing. I just thought I was OK based on my experiment. I think all would have worked out if I would have swapped out the brush after the first three prints. Live and learn. I guess your right, assuming it will not likely fade, I need to make a decision one way or the other.

Gunner

I need to apply my Hull ID number to the back of the transom per the State of Texas, and I'm thinking about a "built by" note on the front of the transom.  I have an HP laser printer that uses a toner cartridge and have not applied epoxy or varnish to the transom, either side.

I assume I need to go to Office Depot and get some rice paper and not use regular printer paper eh?

Could someone give me the steps I need to take to make these two imprints?

Thanks!  Curt 830/997-8120

Curt,

Usually you can get rice paper at art stores. If you have a surf shop nearby that makes boards and does graphics they can probably sell you some as well. It's difficult to get the rice paper to go thru a printer by itself as it's not stiff. I cut a piece 8.5 x 11 and either tape the edges to a regular sheet of paper or run a small bead of glue around the edge. The sheet of paper will carry it thru your printer. You might want to run it thru as a test by 'printing' a blank page. Once you know if it works go ahead and print your image. As mentioned above, I usually print the image in reverse and place the rice paper ink side down which puts the image the right direction. That's not necessary with a laser. The toner is fused to the paper and shouldn't spread under the epoxy. I think Laszlo uses a laser and doesn't reverse the image, maybe he'll chime in here. if you're putting it on a horizontal surface you can just lay the graphic where you want it, put your cloth over it and epoxy both at the same time. They'll both wet out just fine. If it's on a vertical surface put a small bit of epoxy on the boat to hold the graphic and lay it on carefully. Put on the cloth and wet them out. If you're putting a graphic on a bulkhead where there won't be any glass put the epoxy on the bulkhead and position the graphic. Carefully wet out the rice paper. Once it's cured do a couple of fill coats. You can feather the edges of the paper by careful sanding.

George K

I do indeed user a laser printer and either side works. In fact, for my WD12 I printed 2 copies of my Wood Duck graphic and applied one ink up, the other ink down and I can't tell which is which.

I really do prefer the laser printer because laser toner is plastic dust that is melted into the paper by the heated drum. There is no solvet involved, so the "ink" is pretty mucg immune to most solvents, including epoxy.

Good luck,

Laszlo

OK, thanks for the comments!  Here is what I understand I need to do:

1. Find rice paper, try craft store
  2. Tape edges of rice paper to a sheet of regular printer paper
  3. Print the Hull ID number so it prints on the rice paper
  4. Cut out the printed area, close to the printing
  5. Brush on a little wet epoxy on the top right of the transom
  6. Lay the graphic in the wet epoxy
  7. Spread the fiberglass cloth out and drape over transom, covering graphic
  8. Wet out the glass cloth normally

Sound right?

Thanks!

Curt 830/997-8120

That'll work. Have fun!

George K

Thanks!  I sure appreciate everyone's inolvement on this forum...especially you guys that have SO much experience and able to help us first time builders!

Curt 830/997-8120

Can anyone speak to the possibility that these inkjet or laser graphics on rice paper will fade over time???  I guess it would depend upon the amount of direct solar exposure,  but suspect over the long term...certain colors will fade.  Is either laser or inkjet more resiliant?  What about colors to avoid due to fading problems?

I used a laser printer to do black graphics on rice paper for my WD12 10 years ago. It still shows no sign of fading.

Black laser is very robust since the carbon black in the toner is immune to UV and the process uses heat instead of solvents to apply the toner. Add to that the rice paper being saturated in epoxy, covered with fiberglass, then receiving multiple coats of varnish and it will pretty much last the lifetime of the boat.

I've never used color or inkjet so I'll let someone who has speak to that.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo.  Great input.  Perhaps I'll stick with black.  Unless anyone else can address the color fading question?

Yes, if you look at old bumper stickers, only the black is fade-resistant.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.