Outrigger Junior Kit

Do you have any rough estimate on what the Outrigger Junior kit will cost when it becomes available?  Including CNC plywood, glass, epoxy, sails, and hardware?  Just loving the looks of this little boat.  Thanks!

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outrigger Junior Kit

It's basically 2 15-foot hulls and a sail rig. You can probably get a really rough ballpark figure by finding a 15-ft plywood (not stripper) kit here, doubling it and adding in the price of the sail rig kit and the nearest sized sail. Then get the epoxy and glass recommendations for each kit and add those in.

Don't make any decisions to buy or not buy based on this number. There's no way that will be the exact price, except by total accident, but it should be the right order of magnitude. It'll be like guessing the distance to a city in California from the East Coast based on your known distance to Los Angeles. If the city is Hawthorne you'll be real close, if it's Sacramento you'll be way off. And if it turns out that it was supposed to actually be Hawthorn Nebraska then there's no point at all.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Forgot to mention - I am NOT a CLC employee and have no authority to make promises about prices or features on their behalf.

Laszlo

>>>>>Do you have any rough estimate on what the Outrigger Junior kit will cost when it becomes available? >>>>

Honestly, I have no idea. We're going to do everything we can to keep it reasonable.  

Well, if it is reasonable in price (a relative term, I know), something a first time builder can handle, and the full kit comes out by, say, April, or so, I am going to build this kit by summer.  Otherwise, I'll choose a different route and possibly build a kayak and sailing kit.  I want something substantial, but that I can car-top with my Ford Focus if at all possible, at least for the first build.

To be honest, CLC has so many choices that I have been frozen into inaction for fear of making a bad choice.  I want something extremely fun that doesn't run the bank for me, and that I can be proud of when it is completed and say, "look what this incompetent craftsman can do!"

Thanks, John and all the CLC staff, for your efforts and patience with me (and, I imagine, many more just like me).  I'm looking forward to a great adventure.

Your servant and friend,

Michael

Michael,

Sounds as if you need to come to Okoumefest or one of the other venues for seeing and trying out CLC boats. There's nothing like actually sitting in a boat to see if it's the right one for you. Hope there's one close enough to you that you can attend.

Laszlo

I live in NC mountains; I went to the Mid-Atlantic with my son in October. Sailed with John in the PocketShip, a really nice boat! The problem is, all the boats feel right!

However, I love the speed of multihulls, and, except for Madness and Mbuli, CLC didn't offer that type of boat.  Those boats either don't have kits or are way out of my price.  So I thought I just needed to pick something else.  Then, the OJ came out.

With the OJ, I am hoping to learn how to stitch and glue, have some fun with my boys, and wait for a slightly larger version from CLC for really simple camp-cruising. Or maybe by that time, I'll have enough money, skills, and desire to build a PocketShip or Faering (kit).  I just didn't want to "settle".

I'm leaving today for the Philippines for almost a month, so I'll have some more time to think about it. BTW, I believe I actually spoke to you (and your wife?) briefly at MASCF, but I didn't know who you were.  I actually voted for your boat. That is, if this is yours:

I'll check back in when I return.  Thanks again,

Michael

Still no kit, right?

...maybe it's too close to kit production time, but one suggestion: modify the ama and bench lashing points so that either line or inner tube strips can be used and modify the vaka lashing points so the either line or ratchet straps can be used.

The line lashings look nice, but applying them is going to get very old very quickly.

Both Inner tube strips and ratchet straps are *really* quick to apply and would make cartopping/beach-rigging practical instead of an ordeal.

A quick-assembly scheme was always a priority.  Ratchet straps have been tested to satisfaction.  The laced trampolines also take too long, so we're finishing a sailtrack scheme to make the two tramps quick to install.

So here we are almost in November and we haven't set the kits and plans free in the wild yet.  That's because we're still working on the extravagantly detailed manual.  Some eager early adopters would probably be okay with minimal documentation, but 15 years of feedback on this forum and elsewhere is absolutely emphatic:  The manual must be as close to perfect as earthly mortals can manage.  I'm totally down with that, but it takes time.

".....   The laced trampolines also take too long, so we're finishing a sailtrack scheme to make the two tramps quick to install......."

Sailing without tramps like in the picture would be interesting. I can see people missing the hiking boards and "lightning ship" overboard.  Take a little time and testing before you put the sail track method out.  Consider weight testing with a clumsy sailor. We know from fall protection and handrail design that there is a lot of force exerceted in even  a short fall.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.