Transom Sanding Mistake on Northeaster Dory

Despite the advice in the Dory manual, I mangaged to sand through the first ply on my Northeaster Dory transom in one little spot.  Is there any way to cosmetically fix that spot so I can finish it "bright"?  Or should I simply forget about it and paint it.  Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Transom Sanding Mistake on Northeaster Dory

most likely nobody will notice and if they say something throw them overboard.  You will forget about it soon after you start using the boat.  You can still finish bright see how it looks and if it bugs you later, just paint. 

If your divot is on the edge of the panel you could always paint a border around the edge of the transom in hull color to hide it. You could even get artistic to emphasize the wineglass shape when you layout the lines.

If you're artistically inclined, there are lots of ways to cover up defects with attractively applied decorative details. A graphic design inkjet printed on rice paper or cut from adhesive-backed vinyl, a wooden inlay or onlay. A small painted-on flag, or a pawprint from your favorite pet. Whatever might enhance the overall theme.

Old Yeller 

Thanks to all for the great advice.  I'm already feeling better about my screw up.

Dave

Dave,

Per recommendations I read somewhere in this forum, I tried a one-squirt mix with a little cel-o-fil and but mainly wood flour to a mustard consistency.  I just used that mix to  fill in the stitch holes on my Dory transom last night and scraped it down this morning...they are just a wee bit darker than the transom panel but like said above, only I will notice once it's epoxied and varnished. 

I was only filling holes, so I'm not sure if it would work to spread the above mix on a flat area like you have.  Maybe others reading this would know.

Good luck

Curt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.