Alternative To Star Nuts On Dory, Thwart 3?

Having never sailed or rowed a NE Dory, I look to you guys for comments, please.

Those star nuts (and the anchor bolts underneath as well) seem like butt denters, and places for lines to get caught.

Why wouldnt this work instead?

Drill a 1/4" hole in the bulkhead out near the hull right above the top of the #3 seat (actually drill larger, fill, drill 1/4").  Then run a short piece of 1/4" line thru the hole and put a stopper knot on each end.  The seat would not be held down firmly like it would with the star nut, would that matter?

It sure isnt going anywhere, no butt denting, looks a little more traditional, and by untieing one stopper knot and pulling one line out you can still quickly remove a seat if needed.

For that matter, why not do that on all 3 thwart seats?

Curt
home:  830 997 8120
cell: 817 456 2878

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Alternative To Star Nuts On Dory, Thwart 3?

I agree that they are pretty ugly.  Your idea is a good one.  I think some kind of wooden peg might work as well.   I am also looking for ideas for star nut alternatives for the mast thwart.   Thanks for good idea.

Dave.. (?) I know exactly what you are thinking of...the jam pegs on the legs of trestle tables.  I wonder if it would matter if the seat board is not tightly secured?  I'm thinking it would be OK...your thoughts?

I don't think it would make any difference.  As long as the peg (or your knot) is secure, the seat won't come out even in a capsize.   A lot better visually than the star nuts.  

I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace the star bolts on the mast thwart with simple bronze bolts with nuts and washers.  I'm not planning on removing that thwart anyway and the bolts should look a lot better.

Best,

Dave

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.