Boat Repair - question - need expert advice

Hello,

First post to forum but had a question or two one repair.  

Preface - 12/21  Last Saturday central Michigan experienced an ice storm that knocked out power, destroyed property, and pretty much made a general mess.  It has not gotten warmer so there's still the threat that any wind will cause more damage as the trees still have alot of ice on them.  Anyways, the neighbors gigantic oak dropped a branch the size of a normal tree onto my wife's newly built wood duck crushing it, the aluminum trailer, and the family's other rotomold boats.

I had wrapped the wood duck up in a tarp like a burrito because I had gotten to the point of final sand down/first varnish when the weather changed and the place I was originally doing finish work got sold.  I.E. 3/4 way done...  It's still under the tree and wrapped up so I really don't know how bad it's been broken but once it's safe  - I plan on cutting up the tree branch and pulling what I'm hoping isn't a "Viking funeral pire" out of the tarp.

So here's the question:  

1.  Depending on break points, can I simply cut the panels out with a keyhole saw and stitch in again a new panel in then fiberglass?  Or would it' bulk out and look "funny"? (Guess I'm not out anything if it does...)

Given it's the holidays and the monster out back could kill someone until the ice melts, it might be a while until I post back with some pictures of what's left.  It really was a beauty of a boat but even if it's gone - the memories of building it at the Great Lakes Boat Building School and hours love put into it will always remain.  I am also greatful that no one got hurt and that insurance might help out towards replacement. Not to mention I have power and heat in my house so I can type this up.

Merry Christmas,

Sean Evans

Lansing

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Boat Repair - question - need expert advice

Sean,

Glad to hear that you and your family are OK and that you're being careful about approaching the scene. It's pretty bad what happened, but you've got a good sense of proportion about it. Definitely file an insurance claim.

Anyway, at the CLC open house 2 weeks ago, Joey and Dave did a boat repair demonstration. In this case, instead of an oak branch falling onto a WD, it was the Pocketship falling off its trailer onto a PAX20 that did the deed.

As you can see in the picture below, it punched a flap of wood loose. They were able to put it back in place using a pair of temporary stainless steel wires, a repair jig and some wedges. They didn't have to cut anything away or put in any new pieces of wood.

There was still a bunch of sanding and glassing to do, but by the end of the demo it already had the looks of an unobtrusive repair.

It's hard to give any advice without seeing the damage, but first off, don't be eager to cut. As with the PAX 20 you might be able to put back the original wood. Next, plan on using fiberglass patches over and under the wood to provide the bulk of the strength for the repair. The WD series give you excellent access to the inside, so you can put glass behind the repair to hold it together. Glass is easy to feather and fill, so you could end up with a repair that doesn't bulk out at all,

One tip for getting at the inside of the boat for all this is to hang the boat cockpit-down from the ceiling and stand up with your head inside.

Anyway, glad that no one was hurt, and good luck with the repairs.

Merry Christmas,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.