Outrigger Junior Launch

Lots of good photos from the first launch of the new Outrigger Junior design, here.

Some background on the design, here.

CLC Outrigger Junior

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outrigger Junior Launch

John, congratulations on another innovative and exciting design!

I cannot wait to give this boat a try. I love the elegant juxtaposition of old and new. This boat is "uniquer" than any other new design I have seen plus it clearly has a huge fun-factor.

I hope that these chariots will be available for a test spin at the next OkoumeFest!

Many of the pictures are mouthwateringly spectacular.

~~~_/)~~ Cheers

Chris

I love it! After your two proas, this is another welcomed addition to the "Mad" fleet.

I introduced a friend to this new design - he's in watersports business and loved it - am thinking of building two of them with him.

Beyound that... sincerely hope there really is an Outrigger Senior in the pipeline.

Give us a 26' - 28' boat with a small fixed accomodation just big enough for a gimbled stove and the nav/electronics plus two skinny berths (maybe one in a little aft cabin) Okay, go to 30' if you have to, but keep it simple, simple, simple like the Junior Outrigger - as the "tacking" ability make the boat so much simpler. I at least would agree with you that the ama to windward or leeward makes no meaningful diff.

I'll build the prototype for you.

Cheers,

tom151

I love the looks of this new boat, and am eager for the kit and plans to be released.  It looks like an absolute blast, and much more comfortable to sail than a catamaran.

Also, a bigger one, while still maintaining its simplicity is exciting to think about. The possibilities of some nice cruising are floating around in my brain.

I have been debating over and over which CLC kit to build, and I think I just found it.

Michael

Does the Outrigger Junior have center boards? Are the rudders kick-up?

We have very shollow water - can it sail in 18" of water?

Jon

Centerboard and kick-up rudder.  You can see the rudder in the photo below.

http://www.clcboats.com/images/photos/boats/OutriggerJunior/launch/04-ready-to-go.jpg

And here is the commentary on the centerboard from the design page: "The daggerboard was ditched in favor of a pivoting centerboard, improving in one stroke the beach-friendliness of the design.  The centerboard lifts out of the top of the case if you are cartopping the hulls."

Thank you for the reply - what is a pivoting centerboard?

I'll be eager to see how much the kit costs when it comes out.

In some ways, I wish this were a shunting proa.  I like the idea of the Mbuli and Madness proas, but am somewhat hesitant about the sophisticated look and the whole "shunting" concept.  It would be nice to learn it on a smaller model like the Outrigger Junior.

I can see, however, how the tacking proa might receive a better response from a marketing standpoint.  Either way, it looks like fun!

Jon,

A pivoting centerboard is a board that is located in the centerline of a boat to provide lateral resistance so that a sailboat won't get pushed sideways by the wind. It is movable to vary the amount of resistance as needed. Instead of moving straight up and down, it is attached to the boat through a pivot point and rotates around the pivot. Moving it all the way up allows the boat to beach.

You can see it as the large quarter circular object in the center of the side view below.

Have fun,

Laszlo

I really like that this boat can be transported on a roof rack. How long does it take to lash together and rig?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.