Mistakes not to make? hull to deck joinery -- Shearwater SnG

So far, I'm really enjoying this build. Things have progressed slowly, but nicely. Photos at   http://preview.tinyurl.com/lzvwry2

I'm about to turn the two parts into one boat, and I suspect this will be the most challenging part (other than varnishing). 

I LOVE learning from other people's mistakes, rather than making them all myself.   :-)

Any advice?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Mistakes not to make? hull to deck joinery -- Shearwater SnG

In theory, it's best to learn from the mistakes of others. In practice, though, I find that no matter how much I read about others' mistakes, it still doesn't immunize me from making my own doozies. With a combination or a little luck and humility, I can learn from my own mistakes. And when I do make them, I find that others, especially John and the folks at CLC, are ready, willing and able to help me correct them. So I guess what I'm trying to say is: 1. Think things through. 2. Sleep on it, and approach the problem with fresh eyes on a new day. 3. Don't rush. 4. Most mistakes are not fatal. 5. If you think you made a mistake, sit down in your literal or figurative "groaning chair" and think things through again. 6. Call for help. And finally, when you've finished building your boat, you WILL have a blast using it.

Jim

Don't let yourself get stressed out. Step back and relax. My Shearwater Sport was the easiest to join back together, out of WD12, WD14, WD Double 17LT, and SWS.

You can get to all of the inside seam except for about the last 1.5 - 2 feet. So what I do is mix up a batch of epoxy a little bit runny, between mustard and peanut butter. Set the deck in place with a few spacers. lightly butter up the deck and top of the side panels for about 2 feet. Start wiring at the front, 2-3 holes per side, working towards the back.Then, when you get past the cockpit, put the spacer in the back, butter up the last 2 feet and wire it up. The you can take you time tacking up the rest of the seams.

Good luck, JRC

It took a bit of time, but the deck went on the hull without too much hassle.   I worked similar to how John suggested, snugging the cockpit wires a bit first, then applying epoxy for about 2' on each end from the outside. When I tightened all the wires, I discovered the only real problem was at the stern bulkhead.  Perhaps I should have noticed a step (or five) earlier, & shaved it down a bit, because I couldn't get the seam closed up tight right there. I added a couple of stitches and leverage blocks and got it close enough.

I tack-welded the rest of the seams from the inside, with a small syringe and a headlamp.

Sweet!

Added a bunch of pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/lzvwry2

Taped the deck-to-hull seam on the port side this morning. Despite all my prepared tools, the only tool I really needed was a stick.

The whole process went quite smoothly, painless, and  I didn't need to use the groaning chair.  :-)

I just went throughout this last weekend, joining decks to hulls of my Shearwater Sports. I wrote about my process (essentially stated by others above) and identified other mistakes I've made so far. Photos included. (Personal blog, no monetization.)

https://howisjt.com/stitchnglue/blog/2022-03/

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.