Length of main sheet and jib sheet

2 items:

I am near completion of my NE Dory.  There was no rope included in the kit.  Is this your experience??

Assuming I have to supply my own rope, how long should the main sheet and jib sheet be?  Ther is a conflict between the manual and the cordage chart on the CLC websitye.

Thanks, this forum has been very helpful in the build process.  Gary

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Length of main sheet and jib sheet

Gary,

Not being snarky here (and if I knew the answer I'd tell you), but if you're building the boat and it's almost done, can't you just measure it to see what you need?

Barring that, I'd say go with whichever measurement is longer and you can always shorten it later.

Good luck,

Laszlo

As for your first question, I just checked the NE Dory page and looked at the sailing kit and it does not include any line.

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo for your response.  I could not find it on the list of parts either, I was just checking to see if I missed it somewhere.  As to the length, I suspect that the longer length s what is needed, but at about  $2.00 a foot, it does not hurt to check out otheres experience.  I asked the same question of CLC, so we will see what they respond.    Gary

If you look up the area where the Northeast Dory kits, plans and supplies are listed, there you will find a "sailing components kit" and it will list the length and diameter of the cordage supplied for that boat.  I don't know if the CLC kit is cheaper but you may want to see what you get in that kit before purchasing the components separately.  

I just realized you may be talking about the lug sail which comes with no line.

I checked all the lists, no lines.  

The main and jib sheet lines length will be personal preference depending upon where the skipper and crew want to sit or need to sit. As stated longer lines can be cut sor I would start with lines longer then one might think they need. If you plan on single handling the dory your jib sheets should be long enough to reach the stern of the boat. And you might even consider 2 sets of sheets for single handling and sailing with a crew. The extra line just falls the hull until needed but some long lines tangle. Experience will tell you how long your sheets should be. Running down wind with a wisker pole holding out the jib may require a longe sheet that one would expect.

Type of line

I have no suggestions regarding length other than that provided above, but I am curious what type of line you are considering at $2 per foot?  Sampson XLS (3/8") is what CLC lists for the Skerry mainsheet and that can be easilyfound for under $1 per foot.  New England sells a "Vintage" Sta-Set which is similar to XLS but looks more traditional (beige) for ~$1.10 per foot.

While more expensive high tech lines make sence on racing sailboats, they are a complete waste of money on a boat like a Dory.  They are also much harder to cut and splice.    

Yes, I was guessing at 3/8 inch, and Defenders has that for 55 cents/ft

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.