Night Heron and learning to roll it ?

Hey,

I wish to learn to roll my Night Heron, but I don't want to start learning a roll that is not compatible with the design of boat.

I think that the best path would be to learn the most efficient roll with the least amount of muscle effort.

Given that idea as a starting point, which roll would be the most efficient for the Night Heron?

i'm thinking the standard greenland roll may be a good one, but I'm asking for advise from experienced Night Heron rollers!

thanks,

Chris F

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Night Heron and learning to roll it ?

The NH is a perfect rolling kayak. I learned rolling with my NH by repeated looking at and studying the video "This is the Roll" with Cheri Perry and Turner Wilson. I started in early summer and by later in the summer I started to feel really comfortable and confident with developing reliable muscle memory. I subsequently tried to roll other kayaks including my wife's Shearwater Sport. No problem.

I practiced both with a Euro-style paddle as well as a Greenland Paddle. I started with the GP simply because the video used the GP in many examples.   

It is a great video that focuses on just three basic rolling styles. While it obviously would have been better to learn with a coach, the video is really excellent. It begins with the lay-back (standard) greenland roll and recommends starting with that one.

The ability to brace and roll back up after a spill without wet-exiting certainly is a major safety skill and confidence builder - especially when you paddle a 20" wide kayak.

Cheers!

Chris 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.