Bead-and-cove strips in strip construction...

What if any are the practical advantages of using b&c strips as opposed to square-edged strips, please.

L of S

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bead-and-cove strips in strip construction...

I have not built a stripper, but my understanding is that you must bevel one edge of the square strip to close the gap against the previous strip. The last strip gets bevelled on both edges. JRC

At the risk of opening a big can of worms, I don't understand why anyone would use bead and cove strips. Admittedly, I only have one stripper to my credit, a Great Auk that was built from Nick's book. Beveling strips was enjoyable and easy, after I got the hang of it.  If you're ripping your own strips, and don't have the equipment for bead and cove, give beveling a shot.  

Sean

See Strip Planking. It eliminates having to plane the edges. It also provides a larger glue surface and if one is not epoxying and glassing the boat the bead and cove allow the wood to swell into a pocket and seal.

The bead and cove inceases the gluing suface area from the width or close to the width to 1.57 * width or 1/2 PI.

Dear all, I have built 3 strip Kayaks. The first two bead and cove that I milled myself and the third kayak was square edge. The process of building is faster with the bead and cove, but, in my case this was offset by time and material lost to the milling process. The last kayak built I used the square edge and I took the time learning to love the block plane and ended up with excellent joints. In my opion the need for more surface area on the glue joint is a moot point once it is incapsulated in glass and epoxy. Hagen

So the takeaway might be that you should build your first stripper with B&C strips because it's faster and easier, but move to square edges because it is more satisfying after you have developed some skill. -Wes

I have built several canoes and kayaks using both square edge and b+c strips. I for one will vote for b+c hands down. The time it takes to mill is minimal, It makes cleanup easier(lot less glue drips), it's much easier to strip if your alone, not to mention the extra glue area as mentioned above. The glue may be mute when encapsulating but it makes a difference when your pushing the bending limits and also when handling the non-glassed hull. Have Fun!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.