place to build

i'm in southeast florida .i want to build a peeler skiff but i dont have the space to build.most wharehouses dont let you do work in them .any suggestions on places to build?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: place to build

Do you own property or are you renting? I'm building a Peeler in 1/2 of our garage. Using a CLC kit, you can get by with a lot less space than from plans where you need the room for laying out everything and cutting the parts. There are lots of enclosures on the market that would work in a warm climate like SE Florida if you have the land to do it.

I did see one guy build a kit in a rental storage unit. I guess it all depends on your situation.  Good luck.

I built a Jimmy Skiff in a shipping container. I don't recommend it. I imagine a storage unit could be a similar experience.

The Jimmy Skiff is 13' and a 50" beam. There was just enough room to walk around the boat and store some supplies in an 96"x96"x20' container (although the doors swung wide open so you could step out at one end).

Even at 15', the Peeler is much bigger: it has a 75" beam. Be sure you'll be able to walk comfortably around the assembled boat and that you'll be able to turn it over wherever you end up building.

I feel your pain about a building site. After looking a long time, a friend is letting me build a boat in her garage, a 30 minute drive from where I live.  I keep thinking I should probably scare up a wooden boat co-op group to rent some build-space on a more permanent basis.

Where in southeast FL are you?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.