Sheer clamp planeing guides not right?

I just installed the deck on my Chesapeake 18 and I have a 1/8 inch gap from the rear bulkhead back where the deck doesn't fit down tight that I will have to fill. I used the sheer clamp planeing guide to plane it and I KNOW I used the right one. It looks like the sheer clamp back there needs to be more flat than the planing guide indicates. 

Anyone else had this problem?

Where I did the rolling bevel by eye around the cockpit it fits down perfect. Next time I think I am going to toss the planeing guides in wood stove and plane the whole thing by eye.  LOL

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sheer clamp planeing guides not right?

I'm only guessing but perhaps the bulkhead was riding a bit high.  they never fit quite exactly and often need an adjuctment.  That would lift the deck causing a a small gap.

NOT TO WORRY.  Everything is fixable!

Put some tape inside so nothing leaks out and then mix up epoxy and wood flour and microballons and stuff it into the gap.  Once its set, sand smooth and no one but you will ever notice.  If you put a decorative stripe or a rub rail even you will not notice.

Ed.

The rear deck is so flat you will end up taking most of the sheer clamp off. The guides are correct. Thousands of boats have been built with them. If the rear bulkhead is sticking up a bit hold the guide up to it and mark off what needs to be trimmed. If you still have any sheer clamp proud of the sides (the 1/4" when you glued them up) you need to take that off as well so the deck sits flush on the Okoume sides. You are far from a Viking funeral but I hate to see anyone using filler when it's not necessary!

George K

Um, I just re-read your post and apparently you've already installed the deck. Well, get out the wood flour........

George K

Maybe the bulkhead was too high not sure.  Anyway it shouldn't be a problem because I am painting the hull anyway because I paddle in an area with a lot of power boat traffic.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.