Okume Plywood Source Near 06340

I've already bought the manual, plans, tools and even built a work table for a 12-6 SUP but now I can't find a local source for 3mm Okume Plywood. Does anyone know who carries it within 75 miles of Groton, CT 06340?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Okume Plywood Source Near 06340

First off CLC should be your first option, great prices and shipped right to your door. Although I have to admit looking for the materials is part of the fun of a DIY project. I also live in the submarine capital of the world. So have been down this same road as your going down now. These is a bit more than your 75 mile radius. But my results were  M.L.Condon, White Plains NY  and  Boulter Plywood, Somerville MA.  Now here is the kicker, the distance from 06340 to both of these places is 106 miles "Google Maps". So I guess if you live on the east side of town Boulter would be your choice and Condon if your on the west, if based on mileage. When I did my first boat Boulter was short 1 sheet that I needed so went to Condon and have been going since. In fact I was down there a few weeks ago, getting plywood for my new Night Heron Hybred.  Tom 

You might try General Woodcraft on Broad St  in New London.  They are next to the Saab Dealer.

www.generalwoodcraftinc.com

Thanks, I am waiting to hear back from LBI Fiberglass if they can get it. If not I'll try General Woodcraft.

I wsh I had posted this sooner as I just got back from working near White Plains and had I known I would have picked up some while I was down there. 

Tom, I am glad there is another boatbuilder near me! It would be cool to meet up sometime once I actually get started with construction. This is my first build but I am helping a family member with a restoration of an old Crosby catboat so I have some experience working with wooden boats. 

Working on the Crosby means that you know what a boat looks like, so this qualifies you to build any boat or SUP that CLC offers. Of course without any hassle from the better half. Yes it would be great to meet up with you, I can be contacted thru the CLC Builders Club. In 06340 you are in great company of boat builders, one fellow in particular has done some amazing work with small wooden boats.   

Hi Tom,

If there are any boatyards or marinas in your area that do repair work check with them. Some here sell materials even epoxy at good prices. The more volume they order the better their rates so they have an incentive to move product. 

A walk up approach may be more productive for you than a phone call.

Good Luck!

Tom et al,

The guys from LBI Fiberglass in Groton will order any thickness Okume needed (about 1 week lead time) and price is competetive with what I have seen it for elsewhere.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.