Trailer Supports for a Wherry

I would like to learn about what others here have done in the way of supports on trailers for the Wherry, particularly for long-distance trips of say 200 miles or more.  I have a decent trailer now with a couple of carpeted bunks on each side and a couple of strategically place 12-inch wide rollers, but I'm concerned that the hull is being subjected to a lot of pounding with our deteriorating roadways.  Softer suspension on the trailer would be good, but I'm already running a minimal leaf spring.  Do tires with a higher sidewall, such as a 5.70 x 8 help to cushion the blows more than a lower profile sidewall tire?  Has anyone developed a sling-type set up on a trailer?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trailer Supports for a Wherry

Would you be able to slip a few partially inflated inner tubes under the hull... or a few of those foam "noodles" that kids use when playing in the water? I have one, but I use it for a roller on firm sand.

The other thing that comes to mind is adding weight. Perhaps you could get a couple of people to stand on the trailer and see that was enough weight to give the boat a softer ride. If it was, you could then decide if you wanted to permanently add weight to the trailer or not.

Keith

Partially inflated inner tubes sounds like an interesting possibility.  I have considered adding some weight to the trailer.  That might make the springs take some load instead of every bump getting transferred right into the hull. Thanks Keith.

If you use air-filled stuff to support the hull, you need to use similar support where any of your tie downs hit the hull or you will just be transferring the jarring loads to the tie-down/strap areas.  The Wheery is so light that just about any commercially-built trailer long enough to handle it will be rated for fifteen times or more the weight of your hull.  (You didn't mention if you would be hauling your Wheery with the rigger installed or any other gear.)  Your biggest travelling worry will be wind loads, especially when a semi passes you and blows both your car and trailer sideways.  Don't snug down your straps so much you distort the hull.

Check your trailer's tire sidewalls for their Max Weight ratings at Max Inflation Pressure.  If each tire will support 750 lbs (1500 lbs together), and your trailer and hull (plus baggage) only weigh 250 lbs, don't use Max psi!  Have an adult stand on your trailer's axle.  If the sidewalls don't flex, you can bet the sidewalls won't flex when you hit a pothole.  Instead, the trailer will bounce.  I am not a professional tire person, so my advice is worth less than nothing, but I'd recommend you reduce your tires' inflation pressure till you see some kind of flex in their sidewals when an adult (someone about the weight of your hull plus gear) steps up on the axle.  DO NOT go below about 25 psi because you stand a chance of the tire coming off its bead (where tire meets wheel) and going completely flat.  Before you go on a trip with lightly inflated tires, go for a test run.  Drive about ten miles at highway speed, carefully pull over in a safe spot and immediately put your hand on the tire.  If the tire is hot, you need more air.  If it is only slightly warm, you should be good to go.  PS - I keep a large bicycle pump, that will connect to my trailer tires, and air gauge with me when pulling small craft on a trailer.  And I frequently check tire pressure, visually (does it look flatter than usual), with the gauge, and with my hands.  Good luck.

Thanks for your response.  Trailer bounce is a definite issue because of very light boat/trailer load.  I usually leave the rowing frame attached but tie down the sides to keep it stationary instead of vibrating and working on the wood at the mounting bolts.  I have Load Range C tires, which run 75 psi at max load of 900 lbs.  I never run them with that much pressure, but I usually have to run around 50 psi because of trailering in the Texas heat.

Have you seen this cradle?   I'm buying a SUT-250, but the cradles on the SUT-200 are better (it seems) then simply a hard rubber roller!!  Perhaps buying this cradle for the 250 would be good?  I'm pretty sure you can order this cradle from Trailex.

http://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20Sheets/MXRAY.pdf

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.