Glassing a WD 12

I know from reading his build page that Laszlo glasses the entire inside of his Wood Ducks, including the bulkhead.  It seems like a bit of "belt and suspenders" to me, but I'm a novice at building these boats.

Does anyone else do this?

Is it worth the extra effort and expense?

Thanks in advance.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glassing a WD 12

I only know for a fact of 2 other people who have done this. The prototype (the one I'm climbing into on my web page) is not completely glassed on the inside and has been used by hundreds or even thousands of people at CLC demos since 2007. It's still in one piece in the CLC shop, the last time I saw it.

Laszlo

Going on 3 years using my WD10.  It shows no wear of any kind anywhere on it yet and I built it as the instructions show.   I dont see any reason to.  Mine just has a coat of epoxy and a couple coats of varnish just where sunlight can get to.

woodduckkayak.blogspot.com 

I did it on my WD 12 as per Laszlo's instructions, but I did it because I'm also going to add the CLC Mark III Sailrig to it, and didn't want any possible flexing of the hull.  If I were just going to paddle it, I might go for the weight savings and not do it.  But it wasn't that much work, and I was able to pre-cut the fiberglass cloth for the outside and save almost enough for the entire interior.  What little extra I needed was easily found in the leftovers from my Kaholo 14 build.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.