Varnish the cockpit of a Wood Duck 12, and a few pinholes in the surface?

Hi all, 

I think that the answer to this question is yes -in order to protect the fiberglass from the sun, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Should I varnish the interior of the Wood Duck 12 that I'm getting close to finishing or will a good coat of epoxy be sufficient? 

Also, I've got a few very (very) small pinholes that are where some of the copper wires were that just didn't want to fill. I even gave the kayak another rolled on fill coat after the first complete sanding with 120 as I wanted to try and make sure they were gone but a few of them remain. Would multiple coats of varnish take care of them? I'm thinking so but wanted to ask the others who've built a kayak before. 

I thought of just putting a couple of drops of resin on each, letting them cure, then sand them out again but I'm afraid they would just sand through again. It's almost as if I'd have to force the resin into the pinhole somehow in order to make sure that when sanded fair they would end up plugged, if that makes sense? I don't know how I'd get the resin in the tiny holes though as they are much smaller than the diameter of a typical pin. 

Thoughts? Thanks!

Rob

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnish the cockpit of a Wood Duck 12, and a few pinholes in the surface?

You might try cutting a few small slivers of wood to plug the holes and then resin over it again. If the holes are big enough that resin won't plug them, then I suspect varnish won't plug them, either.

Alternately, you might check to see if the resin is seeping all the way through to the other side and, if so, tape the other side and use resin thickened with Cell-O-Fill or other cellulose filler to plug the hole.

You should varnish any part of your kayak that will be exposed to the Sun. High gloss reflects UV the best. If you don't, your resin will start to discolor in a couple of years and then eventually your fiberglass will delaminate. 

Hey thanks for the information and suggestions Bob!

I thought about it a little more and decided the best thing to do was to take a very small hand drill (I've got some extremely small drills, one of which was just perfect) and I lightly opened up the pinholes just enough to allow me to force in- with a small paperclip - some resin thiickened with wood flour. This was so that I could help prevent the material from running, and also so that when sanded smooth they would look sort of like the opposite holes which have a darker coloring to them. I left the resin very slighly proud of the surface and in a few minutes plan to go and give them a sanding to see how it turns out. I'll report back and let you know if this worked, I'm thinking it should just fine!

Thanks again, 

Rob

I wish I knew how to edit a post that I had just submitted... anyway, thanks also for the feedback on varnishing the interior cockpit area. The laat thing that I want is to have the sun eat away at the interior fiberglass!

Cheers, 

Rob

The inside of the cockpit shouldn't get too much sun so you could use fewer coats of varnish. Alternatively you could paint the inside.

Thanks for the advice Ralph, I sanded out the interior yesterday and plan to put in a few coats of varnish as suggested.

Also I said that I would report back... after drilling out the holes with a very small bit, I cleaned them out with a little compressed air then mixed up some resin with wood flour so that the material wouldn't run out fo the holes and also to give them the approximate "color" of the others. 

After curing, with a little delicate sanding it's almost impossible to tell which holes were done. It did take a couple of hours to sand out the few holes that I had filled, but it was well worth it. 

Cheers, 

Rob

The added varnish or paint would provide a sacraficial wear layer over the epoxy resin. This should make maintenance if needed musch easier. You might consider a light colored paint for the dark interior spaces so any gear stored there could be easier to see. This might not be so important for the Wood Ducks but for boats with fully sealed cargo compartments it could be of some help.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.