tail lights on trailex trailer

I recently had a stubborn lighting problem on my trailer, so I brought it and my towing car to a trailer shop to see if they could help me trace it. They did, and the problem was with the little black box in my car, not the trailer. But they did point out something interesting. According to the guy at the trailer shop, the tail lights on the Trailex -- mounted on either side of the center rail -- are too close together to be street legal! The funny thing is, I had thought they were too close together to be really safe, and that they did not effectively mark the outside limits of the trailer width, so I had already mounted a couple of aftermarket lights at the outboard ends of the rear crossbar. But the question remains: does anyone know if the setup provided by Trailex is legal?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: tail lights on trailex trailer

I think you would need to check the laws in the states where you are planning to use or use the trailer.

For operating in the U.S. and Canada the federal requiremenrs are:

TRAILERS: FEDERAL LIGHTING EQUIPMENT LOCATION REQUIREMENTS

And for the running, brake and turn lights it is "On the rear - symmetrical - as far apart as practicable" 380-1830 (15-72)

For some of the trailers I think they are too close together but one could add a cross bar and spread them apart.

I found this additonal reference:

Digest of Motor Laws Trailer Lighting AAA.CAA

That is useful information. Thanks!

Jim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.