Satin Varnish over Bright varnish

While reading the NE Dory manual I noticed that they varnished with 3 coats bright followed by two coats Satin schooner varnish.

Are there benefits to doing this?  I have never seen this finish in person.  Does it cover up mistakes or make them stand out even more?  Is it more durable?

I'm very tempted to try it but would appreciate the opinions of experienced builders on the subject.  I'm thinking it gives the vessel a more utilitarian look versus the floating coffee table.

thanks.

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Satin Varnish over Bright varnish

I have done two boats now that way (gloss varnish coats finished off with one or two satin coats on top), one on an Annapolis Wherry and the other a Shearwater kayak.

I don't like how reflective (blinding) gloss finishes are in the sun.  I really like the look of the satin, and found the added benefit that the satin fininsh goes on in a much more forgiving fashion than gloss, and imperfections in the build are less visible as well.

Here are a few example photos-

Good Luck!

That's normally done as there are few satin varnishes that have UV inhibitors in them which are required to protect the epoxy. If you find a satin/UV varnish just use it for all coats. If not you need to put down at least three coats of high gloss with UV inhibitors followed by the satin. I like the looks and durability, i.e. it doesn't show scratches as readily as gloss varnish, on the hull and gloss on the thwarts. And nice looking boats, Hickory.

George K

One thing to consider is that something like 25-30% of varnish's uv protection comes from the bright finish reflecting the sunlight away from the surfice. You will lose some of this with a satin finish.

Varathane High Solids Spar Urethane is an example of a satin product with high level of UV protection.

Great information here. 

Hickory, is that the product you used?  If so, did you just use it from start to finish with no gloss coats?

Beautiful boats.  I love the inwale work.

Hi Tim.  Thanks for the kind words.

On both boats I used gloss varnish (3-5 coats), topped off with 1-3 coats of satin.

Once I used the Varathane mentioned above, and once I used Helsman Spar Urethane (which actually is a semi-gloss now that I look at it).  Both went on easily (compared to gloss), and seem to be holding up just fine.

Good luck.

Hickory,  Very nice boats!  On the Shearwater  what did you use on the cockpit combing? Is that the varnish or did you stain it? I like the look.

I stained the shearwater cockpit coming (and the seats of the A. Wherry) with water soluble stain- Antique Cherry from General Finishes.  Two coats, great stuff.

If you are going to use stain, apply it prior to any epoxy, and then be careful not to sand down into the unstained wood.

It is totally compatible with the epoxy, and I really like the look it gives.

Thanks.

Did you apply a varnish over Antique Cherry from General Finishes? 

Looks like the General Finishes has no UV protection. 

The stain is just for aesthetic purposes, and it goes under epoxy.

You always needs lots of varnish over epoxy, if you expect the epoxy to be exposed to sunlight, so it doesn't breakdown.  And of course you need to choose a varnish with strong ratings for UV protection.

Hickory

Hickory, I was planing on using bright varnish on my deck but now after looking at your boat above I'm considering using the Varathane satan.

Any chance you can post a picture of your bright varnish and the satan varnish so I can do a side by side comparison? Thanks.

You really do build some beauties!

Here you go-

Gloss varnish

Satin Varnish

"Hickory, I was planing on using bright varnish on my deck but now after looking at your boat above I'm considering using the Varathane satan. Any chance you can post a picture of your bright varnish and the satan varnish so I can do a side by side comparison?"

I once tried satan varnish, but it just looked like the devil. <grin>

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.