thinning varnish with acetone

I tried out varnish thinned with acetone on piece of scrap wood. It came out OK. But before I use it on the boat I figured I ask people with more experience whether anything speaks against that.

Thanks, Dr. Pepper 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: thinning varnish with acetone

Varnish is not thinned with acetone. Laquer may be though.

i always use Helmsman varnish and thin it with Penetrol. Penetrol is a little different than thinner but works the same or better. i'ts sold neer the sprayers at home depot.

I will need to stop by HD anyways later today, maybe I'll pick up some Penetrol. Are there any other generic thinners that can be used with varnish?

Thanks!

Mineral spirits, also known as paint thinner

Rookie question here. Why would you thin varnish?

Easier to apply, also less runs. However you will need more coats.

Right. In my case, despite my best efforts I was never able to finish one coat without a few less than well covered spots (holidays?). That was mostly because the varnish is relatively viscous and became harder to spread as I neared the end of the boat.

So for my final coat I thinned the varnish with a bit of mineral spirits as suggested. The varnish was easier to apply and it appears I got a very good finish.

Thanks for your help!

Brightwork is a huge investment in time and material.

I have been varnishing boats for 50 years. Some were great others... well it happens.

I would be very causious messing with solvents which are not designed for your spar varnish.

An example of Interlux 216 or 333 are specificly designed for interlux paints and varnish.  One wiff and you can tell it an't you Grandpas terpintine!

For best results invest in the best you can afford to increase your odds to produce a great bright finish.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.